• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP Granulation ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I used to use FF in my .50 Hawken but I switched to FFF Swiss for my Green Mtn .50. I only use 60 grs and get terrific accuracy. I also prime with it. But you are right about large caliber smoothbores needing FF. :m2c:

Does anyone know what would the old powders of the 1700's be equivalent to in our modern granulation terms? I've seen sliced open original paper cartridges from the Civil War, and the powder appears to be closer to FFg.

Quoting from the link:
"...Granulation sizes of this powder as marketed in Europe are designated by a numbering system, with No. 1 being the finest and No. 5 the coarsest. European and American 'F' grading equivalents are:
Swiss No. 1 FFFFg
Swiss No. 2 FFFg
Swiss No. 3 FFg
Swiss No. 4 1

Hmmmmmmm............. :hmm:

Looks like they need to forget the numbers & just use the F's and we would all be using the same designation.
FFF is FFF regardless of wheere ya are from.

:thumbsup:

when loading a musket, isnt the frizzen supposed to be closed, and after seating the ball the lock is already primed?????

Back in the day, they used to load a musket by priming first and then using the rest of the powder in the cartridge for the main charge. They were in combat and going for the fastest possible reload. Today this is a bad idea as it can result in the perforation of body parts. I've often wondered how many soldiers were taken out by their own musket in the heat of battle.

Back