• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP Revolvers and grease cookies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Most bp cartridge reloaders use a "cookie" of lubricant between powder and projectile for lubing and to soften fouling. Ive been reading of some people who use tese cookies for a cap and ball revolver, some put the grease cookieover the powder and ram a ball home, while some load powder and ram the ball and THEN place a cookie over the ball.

My questions are do grease cookies even have any effect on accuracy or fouling when using loose powder and ball?

And if it does have any effect, is it better to have the cookie under the ball, than to have it on top of the ball?

I've shot BPC rifles for years and I don't use the grease cookie nor do I personally know anyone who does but I know it's done and Matthews gives it considerable coverage in his book. He's had good success with them as have others but I never could make them work for me. Anyway, that wasn't your question. If you use one you'll no doubt need a card wad between powder and cookie to keep the lube from migrating into the powder. There isn't much powder there to start with. As far as putting the cookie over the ball I do that every time I seal off the front of the cylinder with Crisco or Wonder Lube or whatever I happen to be using at the time. My accuracy has always more than adequate using that method. I don't know what it would be like with the cookie between powder and ball. Given my experience with BPC's I would be suspect of it. They definitely soften fouling and I prefer mine on top of the ball. Which is best depends on your revolver and what you prefer. Try it both ways, most accurate load wins!

Vic

Bezoar:

When I shot C&B revolvers I used a syringe-type cake icer with a small hole in the tip, filled with waterpump grease. It was a convenient way to apply just the right amount in each chamber on top of the ball (didn't need a paddle or applicator). Cleanup after shooting was made much easier with the grease; patches through the bore came out clean after 3 or 4.
Try it, you'll like it!

Brgds, Bluejacket

Back