• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP single shot pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeboleo1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Currently shoot bp rifle but want to get my first pistol. Thinking about the Lyman Plains pistol (.50 cal. percussion), but open to suggestions from all of you familiar with the bp pistols. I will be using it for target shooting. I know Traditions makes a variety of the pistols also. Any info on what pistol would most likely fit my need would be appreciated. Excited about trying something new, but want to get a reliable firearm that will be as accurate as a pistol can be. Thanks Joe

Just my opinion but there is a reason the Lyman pistol costs more than the Traditions pistol. It comes down to overall quality.
Both will shoot all right but the better Italian made Lyman will last longer and actually has a Walnut stock on it. :m2c:

I love my plains pistol and would not part with it. It is also the first kit pistol I built. It is very accurate and very powerfull. If you buy one you will be pleased.

As a note to Zonie I can buy the Traditions kits for a lot less than I see them advertized for and the Trapper looks like an awsome gun that I could fetch for less than $120 (kit).

I have a Lyman GPP in 54, to go with my custom, 54, Hawken, and I would recommend it highly. Mine is certainly accurate even with heavy loads. I like the belt hook also.

Vic

Like with all things---life and guns are a manure shoot. I have the Trapper and Parker by Traditions and the Lyman GPP. I think the triggers (double set on the Traditions) are excellent)and the Lyman's pull heavy but manageable---I see no differences in the barrels, locks, sights. I find the finish and furniture on the Traditions to be well done and very plain on the Lyman. As to the wood quality I also see no differences that would mean anything. The Lyman wood finish is typical of all their guns and if you want better than you either strip the original and re-finish or buy the kit and finish your own way. I feel that no matter which one you choose you cannot go wrong. :imo:

Appreciate everyones response. I guess either the Lyman plains or the Pedersoli Kentucky in percussion will be my choice. Do the ramrods that come with the pistols serve you well at the range, or are they similar to rifles -- where a good range rod is better? Do they make special ramrods specifically for the bp pistols that work better than the provided ones? Thanks Joe

I am TOTALLY pleased and satisfied with my GPP in .50", accurate and powerful. Very accurate. I'm making shot loads for it right now, as Oct. 1st I'll be taking it with me when I go up North for Elk and black bear...LOTS of grouse where I'll be hunting.

I'll be taking my Remington Navy too, and taking turns carrying them on different days. The Navy is probably the better small game gun, but with a heavy powder charge and the Hornady 240 grain "ballett", the GPP is definately the better "back-up" pistol.

I have found, unlike a rifle, the pistol's ramrod is fine for range/target shooting. But for a pistol I'm going to be carrying while hunting, and may want to reload fast, I don't use any super-tight fitting loads. Just "snug". And, my pistol does not demand tight fitting loads for accuracy.

Anyhow I LOVE the Great Plains Pistol.

Rat

Joeboleo 1-I own 3 Traditions pistols,Trapper,Pioneer,and[url] Crockett.In[/url] the traditions line I would only recommend the Trapper here's why,the Pioneer and Crockett both good shooters,but Are Not Functional out of the box.Will they fire, sometimes,can you hit anything,probably.Possibly the worst lock and trigger produced.The Trapper is pretty much set up for target work out of the box(set triggers)and has pretty good overall fit and finish(keeping the price range in mind).The Lymans',I have not seen a bad one at all. The fit and finish is good and shoot well.No set rigger,however a little stone and polishing they smooth up real well.I think the Trapper is a little less than the Lyman,I saw MEC's target with the Lyman pistol it was pretty impressive.I hope this has helped...Respectfully montanadan

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate everyones response. I guess either the Lyman plains or the Pedersoli Kentucky in percussion will be my choice. Do the ramrods that come with the pistols serve you well at the range, or are they similar to rifles -- where a good range rod is better? Do they make special ramrods specifically for the bp pistols that work better than the provided ones? Thanks Joe
Yes you can get special rods for pistols . I have one for .45 cal. and one for .50 cal. from www.trackofthewolf.com . I think they're great , go check 'em out . :thumbsup:

Back