• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bp survival hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic.2

45 Cal.
Reaction score
my dad and i are going to do a survival hunt in Catskill park. basically, we are packing in a tent, us, flintlocks loaded for squerril (.36), pistols for protection (9mm and .45), pots for cooking and boiling water to drink, and sleeping bags. we are gonna eat heavy before we walk out and have no food with us so hunting will be necessary instead of "just fun"...which will make it more fun! we will robaby spend 5 days. gotta do it now cause im headed to iraq and have a ton of training in the spring, so its gonna be cold.
If you were going, what is the one thing you would not be without, besides warm stuff to wear, as we are northerners and that is a given.
Probably do a little muskrat trapping too.

saftey wise; toss up between a compass and a weather radio..unless ya go with swampys[url] advice..bein[/url] lost in a storm with a good woman not all bad!

Last edited by a moderator:
I know you want to go primitive. But for safety sakes please pack an emergency kit for the unexpected.ie. bad fall, unexpected snow or snow slide, etc. Space blanket, GPS, and cell phone.

Wish I did this with my late dad. You guys have a good time. :thumbsup:

thanks, im a medic in the army, don't go out for a walk without my bag of goodies . we will be safe i promise......i knew the woman thing would come up :grin:

armymedic.2 said:
my dad and i are going to do a survival hunt in Catskill park. basically, we are packing in a tent, us, flintlocks loaded for squerril (.36), pistols for protection (9mm and .45), pots for cooking and boiling water to drink, and sleeping bags. we are gonna eat heavy before we walk out and have no food with us so hunting will be necessary instead of "just fun"...which will make it more fun! we will robaby spend 5 days. gotta do it now cause im headed to iraq and have a ton of training in the spring, so its gonna be cold.
If you were going, what is the one thing you would not be without, besides warm stuff to wear, as we are northerners and that is a given.
Probably do a little muskrat trapping too.
Assuming you're already covering the obvious survival basics...and in spite of how interesting the challenge of the minimalist trek appears right now, you can still get into some sort of unexpected serious trouble / emergency.

So if it was me, I'd want backups of everything really critical...compasses, eyeglasses, meds, cellphones, etc...(notice the "s" on the end of those items :wink: )...all in addition to the painfully detailed directions you'll leave behind at both residents, that a blind man could follow to come after you when you don't return at the appointed hour...this can be a great outing...but you can also lose your life even from simple hypothermia...just assume Murphy's Law WILL strike at every opportunity and prepare accodingly...Good luck.

All of the above and don't forget seasonings! Especially ketchup, anything tastes good with ketchup!

I envy you spending time like this with your Dad and I am proud and grateful for your service to our Country.

Thank you! :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

Billy

I wouild not eat heavy before I went. I would reduce my food intake several days or weeks before the trip to aclimate my body. I fear after a heavy meal your perception of hunger will be greater.

Things I would not leave behind. Rope or twine,lighters, matches,at least one flash light,a heavy knife,a hawk,compass,map,two coaches whistles to locate each other layered clothing with spares, wool you will freeze to death in cotton or even gore tex if it is wetwater purification packs, toilet paper and a cell phone.
I would take some canned food and a can opener. Some soup or hash, beanie weinnies ect. not much but we are talking about 5 days. I would at least bring some corn meal or flour for johnny cakes. Peanut butter crakers at the minimum to keep your blood glucose and energy level up would be an excellent just in case precaution.
Be mindful about hypothermia it is better to be naked and dry than bundled up and wet. Get naked and dry your clothes over the fire if you get wet.

Well,I am from the north as well and won't bother to preach about the evils of cotton vs wool. We know that.

I'd have extra wool socks to go along. Rotate them twice a day. Wet, damp feet are no fun.

Another thing. Tell your family where you will be bivouacking. Have a photo copy of a map of the region left behind so heaven forbid something happens people know where to go.

I would also add a bag of tinder in case things are too damp to start a fire.

don't worry, the coffee perculator is on the list. some flour for johnny cakes sounds like a good one to bring, just to get some carbs along with the limb bacon. also like the idea of bringing whistles for locating each other. keep 'em comming guys

armymedic.2 said:
don't worry, the coffee perculator is on the list. some flour for johnny cakes sounds like a good one to bring, just to get some carbs along with the limb bacon. also like the idea of bringing whistles for locating each other. keep 'em comming guys
5 days is a loooooong time...you might end up needing a pack mule! :grin:

From the western point of view, purchase 3-4 butane cigarette lighters and take along. Make sure that each of you has at least 2 on themselves at all times. You can make a fire with them. Cut up an old innertube into strips and take along for lashings. When ignited, a strip of innertube just about cannot be put out. It will start wet wood and burn for about 10 minutes.

Do not separate. Stay together.

Before you go, prepare a Geo Survey map of your exact intended route, Mark it well. Your route, where you will camp, and then stay with that plan. Leave that map with someone at home so that if you are not back on time, they know exactly where to send help to find you. If there is a ranger station in the area where you will camp, contact them and notify them that you are going in and where you will be. That puts you on the radar screen.

amongst what has been mentioned, the toilet paper and coffee was first on my list for you.
I would have to take at least 1 road flare...always starts a fire when nothing else will. a couple of 55gal size trash bags, preferably like you get from the tire shops, just too many uses not to.
...and some "dry bean or 13 bean soup mix from the bulk foods section. good get you by stuff when the tree rats wanna stay indoors!

Oh yeah...I can see one pack mule loaded already...and a second one will be needed to carry the feed bags for the first one...now where did I see that "used Conastoga Wagon lot"... :grin:

i have a good rugged dog, but he trails deer for me, and if he sees one, wounded or not, he is gonna run it down. he is shepard husky mix. too much risk bringing him. too bad though, he would be a good bear dog, he is fearless.
pulled my arm out once when we jumped an arrowed deer. thank god the deer gave up quick cause i never would have found the dog!

Back