• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP Where to Buy in CT?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkisel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Do you happen to know of someplace in Connecticut where Black Powder is sold retail? I was @ Cabela's in East Hartford just a week or two ago; they do not carry BP in their CT store. GOOGLE search was of no help in finding a BP retailer.

Thanks,
Bill K.

Wow! Such quick replies. I had no idea that BP could be mail ordered and delivered to other then a business with some sort of special license.

I "think" Cabela's in PA near Harrisburg does carry BP. I go by there several times a year to hunt my brother's property in Fulton County, PA; maybe I'll call that Cabela's and if they do carry BP pick some up on my next trip out.

777 and Shocky Gold have worked in my Percussion PA Hunter (1:66) but I'd really like to try BP in the gun. Also, getting the "wants" for a flintlock and believe you need to use BP at least in the pan, right?

Thanks again,
Bill K.

A member of our reenactment group just ordered 25 lbs at $11.00 per can delivered. Meanwhile our local gun store wants $25.00 per can. As a reenactor whose wife also portrays a soldier we can easily go through 3.5 lbs of powder in a weekend.

Check local and State fire marshall codes though, as some localities limit storage to 5 lbs per household.

No, I wasn't promoting that practice. Now that I think about it on the 777 bottle it says that it (777) can be used in a flintlock if you put some BP in first. Think they recommended 5 grains under the 777 load. Clueless as to why you'd want to load that way.

Some folks find it difficult to buy real black powder in their area or they don't want to invest $100+ in buying large quantities but the synthetic blackpowders are available for them.

These folks want to stretch out their small quantity of real black powder by using the synthetic powders for the main charge in their flintlocks.

By limiting the real black powder to 5-7 grains for the barrel and 3-4 grains or so for priming they can get 635-875 shots per pound and still have a flintlock that will shoot pretty good.

What you say makes sense. Could be that in the back of my mind is the image/perception of guys and gals gravitating to flintlocks being more traditional than those of us with percussion sidelocks. Probably have to do more reading here than posting so that I don't continue to step into it because of my lack of muzzleloading knowledge.

Bill K.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill: Don't worry about "stepping into it".

When someone asks a question on the forum there are at lest 100 people who will be reading the posts and have exactly the same question. Most of them won't post the question because they don't want to be thought of as "the guy who asks dumb questions".
That results in no one giving an answer so no one learns anything.

In other words, don't be afraid to ask about anything that comes to your mind. That's what the Forum is here for.

You're using clean powders with no sulfur in them. If you want an idea of what BP is like. Try Pyrodex. It's much closer to BP than any of the other subs. It's much cheaper too, and is more powerful and consistent than JSG. (junk powder)

It still won't work well in a flint though.

Hey, thanks a bunch. I live in Southbury so I'm guessing it'd be a ~35-40 minute drive.

Are you familiar with the shop? Does it feature BP stuff?

Looked at the range fees and man am I glad I'm able to shoot in my back yard even though it is only a 50 yard range.

Thanks again,
Bill K.

Bill K
You can try Autumn Gun Works in Goshen,CT, 3 Bare Hill Rd .(860-491-4867) I have bought Swiss from him. Not sure how much or what brands he carries. Would call first to check. Nice shop lots of used stuff.
Bob

Hi Matt,

Been past Bare Hill Rd. many many times and never noticed the place. Think I'll just drop in one day. I'm a long time member of Algonquin Archers of Woodbury, CT. It looks like the gun shop is about 25 minutes from the club grounds. This time of the year I'm generally out to the club once a week.

Thanks,
Bill K.

Zonie said:
Bill: Don't worry about "stepping into it".

When someone asks a question on the forum there are at lest 100 people who will be reading the posts and have exactly the same question. Most of them won't post the question because they don't want to be thought of as "the guy who asks dumb questions".
That results in no one giving an answer so no one learns anything.

In other words, don't be afraid to ask about anything that comes to your mind. That's what the Forum is here for.
No such thing as a stupid question just STUPID mistakes

rmatt said:
Bill K
You can try Autumn Gun Works in Goshen,CT, 3 Bare Hill Rd .(860-491-4867) I have bought Swiss from him. Not sure how much or what brands he carries. Would call first to check. Nice shop lots of used stuff.
Bob

Thanks again. Was able to get to Autumn Gun Works and purchased 1 lb. of Goex ffG. $19.95 + CT Sales Tax.

Hey Bill that's once in a row that I've been some assistance.LOL It's an interesting place, never know what used tidbits he has. I live in central CT, so I don't get there as much as when gas was less costly.

Hello

You can go to Valley Firearms in Shelton, CT. They usually have pyrodex. Haven't seen goex unless I missed it. Finally some people in CT who shoot BP. I'm from Ansonia. Best of luck
Mike

Latest posts

Back