• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP winter temperature storage

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Etienne Brule

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi,

Since a few weeks,I have about 25 pounds of black powder in the house...

I am thinking to take all that stuff in an outside shed: but the temperture will go down to 10*F in January.

What do you think? is it too cold to keep the BP in good shape ??

Great forum !

Best regards.

Etienne Brule

As long as it's in a water tight container. Any outdoor temperature changes are subtle enough that condensation is no problem. I've used black powder that I know was in a barn for over 60 years and is was good as the day it was put in the barn. It was probably in temperature ranges +100 to -30 degrees.. :thumbsup:

all mine is in the man cave as I type. it is 10* here now, has been well below freezing for several nights...and some days....repeatedly over several years! it also sees summer temps upward sof 104* at times.
I have powder, both black and smokeless, and 1000s of primers that I have had, and stored in the cave for upwards of 24 years on some of this stuff. All smells good, primers and caps have not failed and powders not clumped!

Store it right, you will be fine!

Better to just send some to me before it goes bad. I'll try and help you use it up before then. Anything to help out. I won't even charge you for the disposal. :grin: :wink:

Keep yer powder dry. It'll be fine.

Mr. Brule,
We store our powders in an unheated space. The winter temperatures will drop to -60 degrees below 0 (F) and sometimes colder. No ill effects over the years that we have been able to detect.
Best Wishes

Black powder storage cann't get to cold. But temps over 120 (like in the trunk of a car sitting in the sun in the summer) can cause deteriation.

Well,

Very happy with your answers. Great !! Thank you everybody.

Etienne Brule

in the snow of Quebec...

I store mine in those army ammo cans that seal with a rubber gasket when closed. The powder has been in 130 to 10 degrees in the garage here in Georgia with no ill effects.

I store mine in an outside shed way down south here in Pennsylvania. Cold temperatures are not a problem but deterioration will start when the powder gets over 150 F. It never gets that hot in my shed.

Keep it sealed up and it will keep forever.

Latest posts

Back