• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brain tanning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the books I've read (I think mentioned above) on it states, "Every animal has enough brains to tan it's own skin". I'm considering doing one myself, but may get some looks from the wife...... Sounds interesting though.

Peace Eagle said:
Matt Richards is your friend, I highly recommend his book and video, video first if you want to choose just one. I ruined the first hide I ever tried using a brief article from an old Muzzleloader article. After finding Deerskins into Buckskins I have turned out some pretty sweet hides if I do say so myself :wink:. I have not reviewed any other books or videos so therefore cannot comment on them.

And to the OP, it is labor intensive, time consuming and requires large amounts of fresh water if you buck the hides. And, it is very rewarding the first time you see that wet noodle turn into soft white buckskin.

"Time consuming" is right. I think that's what has scuttled most of my previous attempts - other stuff gets in the way. Need to focus, it's labor-intensive. Phew...

the11 said:
I plan to get a bottle of whiskey for when I do my hide. :wink:

But here's a question for you Micanopy:

The brain from my buck looked quite a bit smaller than I was expecting it to. Is one deer brain really enough?
Yep, even though the brain is about the size of yer fist and the hide seems really big it is enough. Only animals I know of that aint got brains enough to tan their own hide is:
1. Horse
2. Turkey
3. Alligator.
And a couple of people I know as well,,,,, :rotf:

It sure is, I hada go back to a full time job so my tanning is slowed down for a while, wasnt getting enough skins sold anyhows with the economy bein the way it is. Hope so it will pick up, but yer right, real time consumin.

Well, the temp got all the way up to the freezing (thawing?) point today. A sight lot better than the -46 we had last week (and that's NOT with wind chill folks!! Global warming my a$$)

Anyway, I took the opportunity to flesh my hide, and change the water it is soaking in. It worked out pretty good, but man, are there a lot of scours! Gotta do that no knife skinning job next time. All in all though, it turned out pretty good.

Here's a question though. Do you need to use lime, or can you just soak it in water, and then scrape the hair off with a drawknife?

It's very important to soak the skin in a hydrated lime water mix or wood ash mix,(some time before you brain it) that's the "bucking" part of making a buck skin.

It swells the grain layer making it easier to see the grain when you scrape it off with your draw knife. More importantly it cleans the mucus out of the fibers so the brains can penetrate the hide all the way through.

the11 said:
Well, the temp got all the way up to the freezing (thawing?) point today. A sight lot better than the -46 we had last week (and that's NOT with wind chill folks!! Global warming my a$$)

Anyway, I took the opportunity to flesh my hide, and change the water it is soaking in. It worked out pretty good, but man, are there a lot of scours! Gotta do that no knife skinning job next time. All in all though, it turned out pretty good.

Here's a question though. Do you need to use lime, or can you just soak it in water, and then scrape the hair off with a drawknife?
You can just cold soak it, but at those temps it will take a month, maybe a year of sundays for it to start sloughing. Hard wood ash will work if you have it. the lime or wood ash will help break down the glycogens in the hide and it helps during the breakin process.

skunkskinner said:
It's very important to soak the skin in a hydrated lime water mix or wood ash mix,(some time before you brain it) that's the "bucking" part of making a buck skin.

It swells the grain layer making it easier to see the grain when you scrape it off with your draw knife. More importantly it cleans the mucus out of the fibers so the brains can penetrate the hide all the way through.
Exactly, you can get by with out it but it sure makes it easier.

Hydrated Lime, or "Slack" lime is cheap enough. I use about a pint to 10 gallons of water, little more, lil less, depends on the PH of your water.

Well, ya, it could cause holes in the arm pits and flanks if you let it sit to long, if you did that just add some more water and keep a close close eye on them. Remember when your done with the lime bath make up a pint of vinager to ten gallons of water to rinse and kill the lime and then soak them for about 15 minutes, then rinse them again.

Well, I'm back from holidays. -40 temps again, and my stupid garage heater went out. So now my hide is encased in a solid lump of limey ice. :cursing: :haha:

Oh, it's warmed right up to 0 (F) today. But yeah, she's been a cold one. We were the coldest place on earth (-47 F) a couple of weeks ago.

Stupid Al Gore can't do anything right. :haha:

Flint311 said:
One of the books I've read (I think mentioned above) on it states, "Every animal has enough brains to tan it's own skin". I'm considering doing one myself, but may get some looks from the wife...... Sounds interesting though.

my understanding is every animal has enough brains to tan their own hide... with the exception of teenage boys! :rotf:

Snow on the Roof said:
Flint311 said:

my understanding is every animal has enough brains to tan their own hide... with the exception of teenage boys! :rotf:
Toss in:
Horses
Turkey
Alligator
:rotf: :rotf:

Its the yokes that you use. Takes about 12 or more. My grandson( Silent Sniper) uses them. Dilly

Latest posts

Back