• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

breaking in the new christmas present !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silent sniper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I went up to the Log Cabin last week and picked out my chistmas present. A very nice " like new" traditions 12 guage single barrel smoothbore. The only thing is it didnt have a butt plate and had a chip out of stock by butt. But for 160 bucks I couldnt pass it up. So christmas day i had to go try it out. The only problem christmas morning was my sister opening a present that I see is a beautiful 50 cal hatfield caplock rifle ! Dang girl :rotf: I went out and tried my new toy. I shot it a couple times then went out to try to find a squirrel. my load was 70 grains FF,OP wad,90 grains shot, OS wad. Well as soon as I entered the woods I saw a fox squirrel. I ran over and got ready to shoot. I used my new rangefinder and ranged it at 19 yard. I aimed at the squirrel and shot, the squirrel sat there and i saw a bunch of bark blow off the tree a foot below the squirrel. I shot again with the same results. Well I knew my pattern was low so I aimed a foot over the squirrel and shot. This time it dropped dead. So I went back to the house to fix my pattern. I tried 80 grains FF,OP wad,80 grains shot,OS wad and was happy to see that it brought my patterns right up. So then I went and grabbed my rabbit dog and went to find a rabbit. It wasnt long before i jumped one in a little 5 yard wide fence row. the rabbit ran up the right side. The dog went after it. All of a sudden here the rabbit is on the left side coming right back towards me ! I got ready. The rabbit was coming right at me. Then it cut to the right and tried to sneek past me. Thats when the shot rolled it at 5 yards away. :rotf: The rabbit was laying less then 5 feet from where I originally jumped it. As I walked in the bush I jumped another rabbit less then 2 feet from the first one ! The dog quickly picked up its track. As I frantically tried to reload I saw the second rabbit sneek past on the same trail a meer 5 yards away.But I was content with what I had and decided I would save the other one for another day..when I am hopefully packing the pistol :haha: . I called the dog off and we went home. I really like this shotgun. It is really light and fast handling. I shot a few round balls out of it and it shoots 6 inches high at 25 yards. but with some compensating it will make a good deer gun if I do decide to use it. It would be a good close range gun. It patterns very nicely with shot also. I will do some more work with the loads and see wat I find. But im content for wat im gonna use it for. It is my first single barrel smoothbore and it sure wont be my last. I really like how they handle. I already borrowed my grandpas dixie 28 guage smoothie and smoothbore pistol to play with this week and work loads up for them. Plus hopefully I can get a squirrel or rabbit while I'm at it. My future plans might have to include getting a 20 guage tull de chase flinter now. :haha: cheers and happy holidays SS.
2010-12-25_14-34-39_5691.jpg

Nice!

I was at Log Cabin a few weeks ago and didn't see that. You are lucky I didn't. :wink:

SS Good hunt and story, good hunting with the .28 gauge,and pistol. The 12ga. is a nice gun. I like it. You can give me first dibs on it if you get the .20ga. :thumbsup: PP Dilly

good job, now this spring work up some good sound loads at the patterning board. then shoot clay pigeons with it. once you get good at that, get some non toxic shot and go hunt ducks! you'll really like that!

Back