• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Breech scraper?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franksauto

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I have a Cabelas Hawken in .50 cal made by Investarms. I'm sure you already know this does not have a breech plug but a hooked (non-removable) breech. I bought a breech brush & breech scraper to make sure I get the bottom clean of crud/fouling. Well when I sent the scraper down I did feel that it broke a small amount of crud free and then spun free with no resistance. Then I sent the breech brush down and spun that around a few times. I pushed a little harder and felt a light pop. It went in about another 1 1/4". I slid a rifle rod down and felt a ridge around the breech. When I center the rod it will go in another 1 1/4". It feels like a chamber or bowl. How can I clean the fouling in there without doing the hot water bath/flush thing. Should I get a smaller breech scraper. .45 or .36 cal??? Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. I have always shot inlines and am new to traditional rifles.
Thanks in advance
Frank

Frank I am sure you are running into an antichamber much like the one we talked about on another post here is the link! I am not that familiar with the Cabela HAwkin .. but assume it is very simmilar to the GPR type rifle! :hatsoff:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...c.php?tid/204998/post/391031/hl/+davy/#391031[/url]

Davy

Last edited by a moderator:
Davy said:
Frank I am sure you are running into an antichamber much like the one we talked about on another post here is the link! I am not that familiar with the Cabela HAwkin .. but assume it is very simmilar to the GPR type rifle! :hatsoff:
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum...c.php?tid/204998/post/391031/hl/+davy/#391031[/url]

Davy
Thank you. Thats exactly what I needed to know.
Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe all rifles made by Investarms (see big I stamped on barrel) have a patent breech; a conical chamber which tapers up to bore size. A bore brush a little smaller than your bore will work to scrub it ( I use beat up ones from smaller caliber guns) but be careful it dosen't get stuck and come apart (e.g. use a quality made brush). If you clean well by pumping hot/warm water out the nipple it's not really needed to brush the breech unless you're going to store it and want it spotless.

Breech scrapers are designed for bore sized breeches.

P.S. You should ALWAYS do the hot water cleaning!

T/C makes a special rounded scraper for their breeches, it might fit yours in the right caliber.I have made them by filing down a square scraper, but you're probably better off finding the factory made job.

I just use hot-scalding water then patch it & oil it till oil comes thru the nipple. Then I store it muzzle-down to drain-out excess oil. Don't like to put anything "down there" that can break / snap-off. Seen too many other shooters with those problems :shocked2: . Dave

A .30cal brush on a none spinning gun cleaning rod can clean them out pretty good just make sure you use a brush you don't mind bugging up. Save the good one for your cenerfire rifle because the crud you get out is quite a bit.

Good cleaning gets most of this crud using the flush methode seems to be what works best for me.

Been thinking about this off and on for a couple of weeks now....since there weren't bore brushes around back in the day...how was a patent breech cleaned 150 years ago??

They used wadding to do the job .. more less as now sans brass brush. :hatsoff:

Davy

Here is an old trick. Plug your vent. Stand rifle verticle, muzzle up. Heat white vinegar to just about boiling and pour down the bbl.

Let it sit for a few minutes then flush with water. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Then do a normal cleaning routine.

Latest posts

Back