• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

British Heavy Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRB

75 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a re-model project I did for myself. NO Carl, it is not for sale. This was a MVTC British heavy dragoon in .620 cal. 12" barrel. A lot of wood was removed, and the carving refined. I slimmed the forearm by re cutting the ramrod groove, re-inletting the thimbles, and attaching them with screws through the barrel channel. I tuned the lock as best I could, and hardened the critical parts with three heavy doses of Kasenite, including the lock plate in the area of the tumbler hole. I added a front sight so that I might be able to hit something with it. It is deadly on a man sized target at 25 yrds.using 60 gr. of FFFg. The wood was stained with Fiebings medium brown leather stain, then finished with 2 coats of Permalyn sealer. I still have a little tweaking to do on it. The frizzen does not seal the pan, and the trigger needs to be dropped a bit.
pennyknife669_640x480.jpg

pennyknife670_640x480.jpg

pennyknife671_640x480.jpg

I think you did a very nice job on that piece..
Are you sure that is enough fuel?

Lookin good Wick !! I have a Myrtle stock blank and just bored and turned a barrel from a hunk of 4140 I had . Wasnt for sure of caliber but ended up .600 after reaming with an armory reamer.Barrel is 1.062 x .990 x 14" so I'll be off a bit for authenticity :grin:
Hope you dont mind me usin yours for a model :v

Thought about a large Flint pistol like a dragoon many times...seems like it would have been another interesting segment of Flint firearms to get some first hand experience with...but have always been worried about fit & LOP with paul bunyon hands without any place around here to try one on for size before plunking down a stack of money

I didn't notice the turtle! I was looking at the Dragoon. Nice work! :applause: :applause: :applause:

Hmmm..........I really want to take some nice photos of this here pistol to show the guys. But I wish that blasted rock would quit moving! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

So that's how you make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I wondered if it could be done and you have done it.

Don R

I love those guns.
Have a french Dragoon that I am assembling from a MLS kit that was a gift...
It has a Caywood french pistol lock, brass furniture and a walnut stock.
They fit the hand SO WELL.. They look clumsy, but when you hold them. They fit just like that wonderful colt45 auto did. Like pointing your finger.
Noticed that that front sight is quite high.
Most of the originals had no sight or a very small one.
I am guessing its because they were used at a very short distance,, with buckshot maybe and then turned over and used as a club.
That high sight would cut the stuffing out of your hand if you hit something hard..
Nice weapon.

I made the front sight, hopefully, over sized. It came without one, and I was having problems pointing down the barrel because the muzzle drops out of view due to the taper. I haven't had time to try the sight yet. Shot good without a sight, but should be better with.

I shot a pedersoli copy of the Harpers ferry pistol..
I forget what model number.. no sights.. Couldn't hit the target with it. My own, latest smooth bore pistol, shoots well..but It has a front sight.
Don't know how they did it in the past :confused:
If you have ever seen the "patriot" with Mel Gibson.. that scene with the "bad brit" shooting at the rebel with his dragoon pistol and knocking him off his horse at 100+ yds.. What a crock of bull :bull:
Just curious.
I have seen your other work..that's an awesome early Lancaster you posted.Also some of your work on the other forums.
Why did you decide to "rescue" this one, rather then just making one from scratch??
regards
Mike

A friend bought one, and I tuned the lock for him. I liked the way it felt, and saw that they might have potential. Always wanted a big horse pistol, but didn't want spend much on one. I got mine at wholesale price which helped. I bought it last year with the notion of remodeling it. It just took a while to get to it. The way I saw it, even though I was aware of the lack of quality, you couldn't buy a barrel and lock for what I paid for the gun. I picked mine out of three a dealer friend had. No two are exactly the same. I picked this one because the lock acually worked. Not good, but it did work, and the stock seemed a tad better than the other two. A little tuning on the lock, lots of Kasenite, and it works good enough. Has a nice trigger pull, and shoots fast, and good for a smooth bore. All that, and it looks good on the wall.

Latest posts

Back