• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Broken Toe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought this CVA mountain rifle. There is a chip out of the toe. Would like your comments on fixing this.
Thanks (Ken) Hacksaw

013.jpg

Quick fix would be to put a brass toe plate on it..Can glue a sliver of wood in also..Ray

I'd file down to the chipped depth and glue on a fitted piece of similar wood or just make a thick toeplate.....Fred

A little dap of Mighty or magic putty? the guy that died with the black beard advertised it on TV. Walgreen sells it around here. It comes in a roll,cut a slice off and mix till all the green is white. It will be white, then stain. :thumbsup: Dilly

Shouldn't be too hard to file/sand it down smooth...(at that angle) then fit a piece of wood to it and glue in place. Sand it to fit and when staining/finishing, make your color blend well past the repair.
Should end up practically invisible.
A toe plate would be too thick in my opinion.

Hacksaw, i agree with the idea of putting a toeplate on it. might not be PC/HC (i don't know) but it would certianly keep it from happening again.

just one guy's opinion.

Thanks to all. I also thought it would be good to add a toe plate to it. I'm not worried about it being PC. This whole rifle is different. Trigger guard and barrel, ETC. Big bores didn't have a patch box from what I understand. This magic putty I have heard of it but have no experience with it. Would it be good to drill a couple small hole for pegs for more support? What's the best glue for this. Thanks again

Hacksaw said:
I just bought this CVA mountain rifle. There is a chip out of the toe. Would like your comments on fixing this.
Thanks (Ken) Hacksaw

013.jpg

Well if you don't care that it's PC/HC and are going to inlet a toe plate onto it. I think I would take the butt plate off and flaten that area as much as possible, then rough that area up a bit and glue a piece of the same wood or similar with Gorilla glue and clamp it good and tight. Once thats done, inlet your toe plate.

If I was going to repair that chip, I would take off the buttplate and take the stock down to the lowest point of the chip and taper up about 4 inches. Inlet your toe plate and shorten the buttplate. You would have a slight dogleg but it wouldn't look patched. The longer the toe plate the less noticable the dogleg!

I just got done doing the same thing to my Mtn. Rifle. I had the stock hanging in the closet to dry the linseed oil and my wife decided to knock it off while fishing for the vacuum. My chip was not as deep though. I installed a steel toe plate and browned it to match the butt plate. I would taper the bottom of the stock all the way from the rear of the trigger guard to keep it flat. of course you would probably have to refinish the whole stock to match stains up. Perhaps you could install a slightly wedge shaped toe plate that would fill in that gap and not affect the line of the bottom of the stock.

File the break until it's flat, then carefully sand with sandpaper wrapped around a small, flat block of wood it until it's perfectly flat and smooth. Use a small block for sanding so you don't rock it. Get a piece of wood similar to the stock wood. Try to match the grain (it won't be perfect). Then sand the repair piece until it's flat and smooth, wipe the dust off the repair wood and stock, apply some Brownell's Acraglas (not the gel), and clamp the piece to the stock.
Let dry for 24 hours, then rasp and file the repair wood down to match the stock, sand smooth, stain, and finish. This all sounds harder than it actually is. The hardest part may be matching the stain but you can practice with scrap wood. Hope this helps.

I broke off a piece in the same spot as you on a build one time only it was more on the side and I think it was deeper. I had a toe plate on mine also. So I mixed up some acraglass gel and mixed some sawdust from the stock with it and filed in the hole. After it dried I sanded and shaped it to the form of the stock and then stained it and if you didn't know it was there you prabably wouldn't notice it.

The early Mountain Rifles (the ones with the USA barrels) that I have seen have toe plates.

Thanks Guys
I had pictures on the photo forum. Was just informed this rifle is a Deer creek rifle. So now I know what it is. I will post pictures when I get it done. I hope to just fix the chip. I guess I will experiment.
Hacksaw

Latest posts

Back