• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt6425

32 Cal
Reaction score
I want to make a flintlock pistol in the style of the brown Bess, but roughly the size of the sea service pistols. I want to make the barrel as well. Where can I find dimensions of the barrel and a pattern for the stock?

I think the OP is thinking about the flintlock Tower Pistols. Those came in some big calibers such as .69 and .75. These were the military pistols assembled at the Tower of London around the 1760s time frame.

Hi,
First none were made in 0.75 caliber. So which pattern pistol? Pattern 1730 land service, pattern 1738 land service, pattern 1756 light dragoon, pattern 1759 Elliot's light dragoon, pattern 1760 Royal Forester's light dragoon? For sea service there is the pattern 1718, pattern 1756, and pattern 1777. They all differ. Buy a copy of Bailey's "Pattern Dates for British Ordnance Small Arms" . The Rifle Shoppe sells parts for many of those patterns.

dave

I thought the Sea Services, as made in India nowadays, were cool until seeing one in person; THEY ARE HUGE! But if that's what someone wants, so be it! They are handsome, though.

I like the idea of either the land or sea service, but I want to make almost all of it myself. Where can I get the pattern of the stock and size of the barrel?

Back