• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LLCranford3

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a quesiton. I have looked elsewhere but no one can provide me an answer. I own a very old Japanese Repop Brown Bess. I am in search of a new frizzen. I bought this thinking that since the original frizzen had been taken off and lost, That I would simply replace it. NO PARTS AVAILIBLE. Does anyone know if a Dixie gun works Brown Bess Frizzen (which it says for italian made besses) will work on this Japo version?

Les
Gunsmith

Ok Ladies and Gentlemen,

I got my answer. I have spoken to a gentleman who has parts for the Japo Brown Bess. He will also Tune the lock. Thank you for looking.

Les

I also found this gentleman although, I have not spoken with him......

"Jim Casco (Whitcomb's Rangers) now has Japanese Brown Bess hammers (aka frizzens), hammer springs, sear springs, and main springs. Jim's email is [email protected] and phone 802-235-2457. Jim also has parts for the older Italian Bess's and is making springs out of real spring steel for about $50, as opposed to the awful springs on the new muskets. Jim can also do repairs, tune-ups, and restoration work. If you don't know Jim, he is the fellow who brings the proof and armory stamps to events."

Les

Mike Lea [email protected] makes new frizzens for Bess's. He has several types that need some work to make sure that they work with a particular model. It seems that repro Bess parts don't interchange well from maker to maker so Mike had to make three different frizzen shapes.

Many Klatch

I've had good luck with my Jap Bess. Alway's sparks, no delay. I did some cosmetic work on it so it would appear more correct. One thing I would recommend is rounding out the trigger guard. This will prevent the ENDLESS recountings of Jap Bess lore.

Many Klatch said:
Mike Lea [email protected] makes new frizzens for Bess's. He has several types that need some work to make sure that they work with a particular model. It seems that repro Bess parts don't interchange well from maker to maker so Mike had to make three different frizzen shapes.

Many Klatch

Thanks Many Katch!

Latest posts

Back