• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Brown Bess range report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got back from shooting the Brown Bess today. Oh man what a hoot! This is my first smooth bore and let me tell ya that hollow wa-woosh sound of its report gives a feller goosebumps haha. The trigger pull let’s just say is about gorilla proof, man that’s a hard trigger pull but the lock time surprised me, and I was impressed. For its size the kick ain’t bad at all.

As for my range report, I loaded 80gr of 2F with a .715 ball with .20 patch with dawn lube at say 40-45 yards. Out of the box I grouped 4 shots within 8-10in. Shooting right, and a bit low. Needless to say I’m quite pleased with that.

Bumped up to 90 grains for the heck of it but started going off paper. Interestingly enough I loaded this with pre-lubed patches. Once I went back to 80 gr, with dawn patches. Boom, back on paper. Was it the patches? No probably not, probably me but still fascinating.

This thing will rock steel, my goodness it made my steel plate dance lol. Also I’m pretty pleased with Pedersoli quality on this. Good lock time, good inletting, small gaps here and there on the trigger guard, but overall I’d give it an A for a production gun!

Latest posts

Back