• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Browning barrel and action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evanschd

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Putting together a Lyman GPR, I'm trying to decide whether to brown the barrel or use a vinegar solution to finish it. The lock action comes already blued. If I take the action apart, remove the finish and brown it or use the vinegar solution, will it affect the action? Any suggestions on techniques and/or solutions is appreciated

When you say "If I take the action apart" are you refering to disassembling the lock?

If so, you could, but they are a little tricky to take apart with the coil spring. Most quality lock plates back in the day were hardened, usually by heating and quenching in oil, some were case hardened with charcoal. This is what the modern color case finish is simulating. It is not an incorrect finish, so there really isn't anything wrong with it like it is.

But if you do want to refinish it, you should take it apart first. If you brown the lock plate, I recommned plugging the threaded holes with kids modeling clay to keep the solution out of the threads. It is easily removed afterwards.

GA stringnsmoke said:
Putting together a Lyman GPR, I'm trying to decide whether to brown the barrel or use a vinegar solution to finish it. The lock action comes already blued. If I take the action apart, remove the finish and brown it or use the vinegar solution, will it affect the action? Any suggestions on techniques and/or solutions is appreciated

Either way looks very nice....Vinegar would be easier but browning looks perfectly "antique"....Im planning my next build and Ive gone back and forth several times and I cant even afford the parts yet :grin: Ill most likely brown though cuz it just looks right...To Me.

Latest posts

Back