• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buccaneer on Board.....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Hand

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Yah”¦ I can see everyone rolling their eyes”¦. “Great”¦We got a Pyrate on the board now” So I guess I should explain”¦

I have always been interested in History, I use to do Civil War reenacting, and Buckskinning (made my own gear, and stayed in the primitive camp”¦ just don’t bet on my marksmanship”¦. I still have a bad “flint flinch””¦.) But about five years ago, I joined a Pyrate group, and sure”¦ my stuff was more Hollywood or Disney then historically accurate, I was doing it for fun”¦ But the what I call “Play Pyrate” did not satisfy my urge, to do something Historically correct”¦.

Last year, I started researching and putting together an “as close to period as possible” 1670’s Buccaneer. It is an ongoing project”¦ as I re-make some of the clothing or gear using better or more period correct materials”¦ (right now, I’m hand sewing a shirt out of some over 150 year old linen that a friend sent me”¦.) I still have to get the parts to make a proper gun, (it’s taking a little longer than I expected..) As I learn more, I see ways to improve my stuff”¦..

Once I have everything together, what do I do with it ?”¦.. I can go trekking by myself, but the only group that does live fire with muzzleloaders are the Buckskinners. 1670’s is earlier than what the Buckskinners do, but it is pre-1840”¦. And interestingly ”¦. What historical Buccaneers wore, is not that much different than what early hunters in the Colonies wore”¦. So it wont be too out of place”¦.

I already belong to an online forum that discusses Pyracy, (both the Hollywood version, and the Historical aspects of Pyracy)”¦. But this forum has so much information on Blackpowder, and Trekking”¦. I had to join”¦.

Well Arrrgh! Welcome aboard matey! :hatsoff: Lots here to see, so pitch in and stow thet gear!
Glad to have ya! How about some photos of your period gear? :grin:

Davy

Welcome to the MLF glad to have you on
board. Be sure to post some pictures of your
stuff in the "Photo" section of the forum. Hope
you will visit often and contribute when you can.
again welcome and stay active
I am snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Welcome to the best muzzleloading site on the net, hope you enjoy yourself! :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Welcome "aboard", Patrick! It sounds like you've embarked on quite an adventure. You've got a great place here to share all that you discover.

(Hear about the new pirate movie coming out?... it's rated "RRRRRRRRRRRRRR".) - :shake: bad, I know.

Patrick, where can I find this forum that discusses piracy?

If i were to have a personna it would be something like Jean Laffite's Baratarians around the louisiana purchase/war of 1812 period.

I know my longrifle wouldn't go well with a pirate personna.... but my pistols and cutlasses do! ARRRGGH! :thumbsup:

it's at [url] http://pyracy.com/[/url]

I gotta warn you.... most of it gets silly...
Capt. Twill is where period discussions are... but even that has some poor documintation from other posters.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. I figure if'n we can have discussions about knights with muzzleloaders than pirate ain't that far afield! :hatsoff:

Welcome Aboard, Brother of the Coast! You're sure to find lots of good discussion on flintlocks and such that overlap with your interest in piracy.

When I was a kid my career ambition was to be a pirate! My mom talked me out of it, though :( :shake: :shake: :grin: Read "Pirates of the Spanish Main" when I was around eight and "The Black Pirate" soon after.

See you around the chowder pot...

"R". The best of us pirates don't reveal ourselves until the game is afoot.
aga_pirate.gif
icon_skull.gif

Me boat's the Delirious and me dog's Captain Calico Jack.

Welcome, we have a few buccaneers hereabouts, though my own firearm and historical focus is a bit later. Then again, piracy still goes on in some waters . . .

pirate-flag.gif

My Buccaneer stuff is kind of on hold right now... so I'm re-worknig what was my "Play" Pyrate...

I'm using the 1706 Navy slops contract specifications, and making a grey wool jacket lined in red, and a new waistcoat out of ticking. I'm machine sewing the inside seams, but hand sewing all the ones you can see.... now I get to sew 15 buttonholes on the jacket... and 18 on the waistcoat.... figured I'd read some of the post here before I started sewing again .....

Ahoy, Brothers of the Coast! :thumbsup:

All of ye are most cordially invited to join the Baratarians list, at [email protected]

We were founded late in 2004, to fire the National Park Service's cannon at the Battle of New Orleans reenactment that is held every January in commemoration of the historic (1815) battle.

Recently at least some of are branching out into the Great Age of Piracy; work is afoot to get a group together to attend an event at Fort Gaines (Dauphin Island, Alabama) the first weekend of March, as a 1720's pirate crew.

PATRICK, thank ye fer pointing me weather eye in the direction of this discussion thread! :applause:

Capt. William

ARROWSTORM, I notice that you are right across Lake Pontchartrain! We are next scheduled to meet Sunday, February 12, at the Chalmette Battlefield (though the Park is officially closed, we can go in when the Park Ranger is there with us).

We are going to shoot CANNONS, Shipmate; big 6-pounders! Are ye the lad to be shootin' some REAL guns, now? :grin:

Please contact me, on or offline as you prefer.

Capt. William

[email protected]

Patrick Lad,
Welcome to the forum. I don't get over to The Pub much anymore. Got too much else going on. Good to see ya here.

Doc

Latest posts

Back