• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

buck season almost here!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daniel collums

45 Cal.
Reaction score
i like deer hunting but hate having to pass on one that has a rack. i just thought it was bad back in the day when does were no shoot. the 22 is our opener for either sex but its also open for hunting deer with dogs also. you got to be ready when the dogs are running, most of the deer that come through my woods are headed for the swamp trying to loose the hounds. i moved my stand to a big pine tree thats about 25 yards from the main swamp crossing and i'm only going up about 20 feet. i have seen a couple nice bucks in the last couple week that i couldn't shoot at so maybe they will be thinking this trail is still safe to travel.

Good luck and let us all know how your hunt turns out! I had the privilege (many, many years ago) of hunting deer with hounds. What a blast! Your strategy seems like a sound one! Have fun!

Best wishes for a safe and successful season.

Since my Minnesota lease partners are from the deep south, they grew up hunting deer with dogs and I learned something about it from them. Minnesota doesn't have that style of hunting, but I've hunted small game with dogs and it's a lot of fun. I would agree that anticipating that hound hunters will be in the area and positioning oneself on good escape routes into heavy cover is a great strategy. Knowing what pressure will be around your hunting area is always key.

Will be looking forward to pics.

It's called "dog hunting" for a good reason. You station standers and have drivers with the dogs. After the dogs make their "run", everyone spends several hours "hunting" the dogs. You put out an item of clothing in several spots so the dog will smell you and maybe stay there until you drive by again.
Lots of exercise and a very poor success rate for killing deer. Usually 2 drives/day is all there is time for. I don't care for it, although my dog would like to do it.

around here its a little different, the hunting club next to me has about 50 members or more, and the club on the other side has around 20 members and one big pack of beagles. In the big club about half the guys have 5 to 10 hounds each and all the dogs have them gps tracking collars so when the hunt ends they go right to them. Most of the land the clubs have is timber company land mixed with a hand full of private land owners and its almost all thick planted pine timber you can't even see through. Me and my buddy that lives across from me have a little over 800 acres with a 125 acre water shed lake right in the middle and in the back of the lake is a 100 acre swamp, all of our land lays right between these two clubs. The hunting clubs turns out a hand full of dogs at a time on their land and it takes a few minutes and the deer head straight for my swamp, the deer that make it past me head across the road onto kerrys land then he gets a few shots. All the time this is going on the other club on the other side is doing the same thing. All day long its the same thing dogs and deer and a few hogs going back and forth all day. Its not uncommon to see 20 to 100 deer a day. Most of the club hunters use short legged beagles so they dont travel to far. Deer hunting on opening day by my house is so fast that its sorty like shooting doves on a bad windy day on a baited field, you better not set down and by time you hear the deer coming 4 or 5 will already run by before you can shoot. You can shoot a couple doe's or so then pick out a buck,you can only bag one buck a day but we don't have a daily bag limit on doe's. So if you wanted to you could use all your doe tags in one day, that is if they made you use tags. You got to be patient and dont get to excited and shoot the first legal buck unless hes a good'un .

Things have changed since I tried it. It used to be mainly Walker hounds with a few blueticks and black & tans. No tracking collars and about 15-20 dogs per run. Those long-legged dogs would chase the deer right out of the area after a couple of days.
The usual reply to "How was your hunting last year?" was "Got 7." That meant that the whole group got 7 deer for the whole season which they split up among them. The season here was 2 1/2 months long with a 2 buck/day limit/person.

back around 1985 when the hunting clubs started leasing the timber company land in my area there were about 5 different guys/families that had walkers and black&tans and plots and such that hunted around here. They only had collars with name plates and when them dogs hit the ground the hunt would be in the next county in about ten minutes. It was like you said earlier, the hunters spent the rest of the day looking for their dogs. My brother-in-laws use war-field red beagles their legs are very short and they go so slow when chasing deer but the sound is something to hear. I've seen the deer just stand there listening to them trying to figure if they were after them or something else. One year i was sitting in my stand and it had been raining off and on all morning and i knew my gun wasn't going to fire, so i took my nipple out and poured some powder in the hole and was trying to put a new cap on with froze fingers when this nice buck came trotting up and stopped right in front of me. I got the cap on somehow and fired, he hit the ground stone dead. I walked back to the house and changed into dry clothes and ate dinner and called a buddy to come and help drag it out. We had gone about 200 yards and we heard these dogs running and getting closer and before long they were baying the buck we were dragging, they were at least an hour behind the buck.

we had one heck of a hunt, i ended up letting one of my friends from work and his 8 year old son sit my stand. they got a doe and a small six point, i passed on a bunch of does about 12 in all and a few small racked bucks, but it was all worth it seeing that little guy get his first buck.

Toccopola said:
i ended up letting one of my friends from work and his 8 year old son sit my stand. but it was all worth it seeing that little guy get his first buck.

A commendable and unselfish gesture! :bow:

Sounds like you had a VERY good season seeing a lot of deer, which always keeps it interesting whether you choose to shoot or not. :hatsoff:

"they got a doe and a small six point, i passed on a bunch of does about 12 in all and a few small racked bucks"

That's more deer than I've seen while hunting in 2 months.

Thanks for helping a kid out.

Back