• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buckskin Sheath With Rawhide Liner

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarbyFett

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I received a Swamp Fox Knife today(awesome btw) and it came with a great sheath, but I want to make a Mountain Man style sheath for it. I am looking for pictures of such a sheath. Rawhide liner wrapped with a piece of braintan I have, with a rawhide flap folded down for tucking into a sash or belt. My google and forum search hasn't been much help. Thanks

Just ignore the quillwork and...here ya go..
laclair-riflemans-knife-sheath.jpg

some in the works shots...
laclair-riflemans-iw-003.jpg

laclair-riflemans-iw-005.jpg

laclair-riflemans-iw-006.jpg

That is about as good as you an get for how it's done, most often the sheath was held with a thin length of leather that tied it to the sash or wrapped around you with a seperate ribbon or thin strip of leather to hold it on. I just run a couple of thin leather strips that I attatch when making the sheath and tie off to the sash with those.

most often the sheath was held with a thin length of leather that tied it to the sash or wrapped around you with a seperate ribbon or thin strip of leather to hold it on
yep the sash "flap" seems to be a modern adaptation. I have yet to find evidence of an 18th or early 19th century sheath built like that - on the other hand there is a dearth of originals to examine so........

LaBonte, you posted some pictures of the knife with the beading/quill sheath, the design of which I have had in my head (generally, not your design) for some time. I have a rather large knife I am making (14" overall, 8-9" blade)and want to learn how to do that. I am a relative newbie (this is my 5th knife) and really would like to be a little more creative with the sheaths. Can you give me a little direction to learn the beading/quill work with leather?

By the way, that ended up a beautiful project!

:confused: :thumbsup:

Deano, one of the Buckskinning books has some instructions on quill work. also, check out places like Crazy Crow; they have tutorial videos on quill working. The beading along the edge is actually fairly easy, i think it is covered in the Buckskinning book as well.

Chuck Burrows has a VERY good DVD on making regular pouch and Mexican loop sheaths. You should drop him a line and see if he has one on period sheaths like that.

RE: quill and beadwork - what Goldhunter said plus look up www.nativetech.org - they offer basic instructions.
Two of the best books on beading and quilling are by Jean Heinbuch available from Crazy Crow - Handbook of Quilling and Handbook of Beading

and sorry but as of now I do not have a DVD on "frontier" sheaths - CC does carry a book by Alex Kozlov on western style Indian sheaths that is very good and some of the techniques can be used for eastern styles......

The Books of Buckskinning have two articles that may be of interest - one Great Lakes sheaths and another on quillwork - they are in BOB 3 or 4 IIRC

Last edited by a moderator:
I got those book titles wrong they are:
A Quillwork Companion
A Beadwork Companion

LaBonte,
That is some very special workmanship.
Very nicely done ! Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
Dusty :wink:

Thanks LaBonte and everyone for the info. After posting my request, I did find Native Tech. All of these recommendations will keep me busy learning for some time. This forum is always extremely responsive.

:thumbsup: :bow: :bow: :thumbsup:

Musketman said:
LaBonte said:
Just ignore the quill work and...here ya go..

But I like the quill work... :thumbsup:
Me too. Way out of my talent level though.

LHunter said:
Lets see your knife post a pic if you can

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

IMG_1690.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

Awesome knife. Amazing balance and it feels like it was made for my hand. About 8 inch blade, pewter bolster and 2 iron pins(that was very important to me for some reason, the Iron pins)

When I Googled Chuck Barrows, I came up with Wild Rose Trading Co. Don't know how I haven't found them before, but they have a lot of ideas in the same vein of LaBonte's sheath, which I really like. Thanks, everyone, for the leads.
:thumbsup:

Back