• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

building a underhammer .62

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckweet

32 Cal.
Reaction score
hello guys, the BP bug strikes again.
i've just ordered a underhammer action from mark at fire and steel.
of course its backordered.

then i ordered a rayl, barrel, 34'' .62 caliber 1:72

and, that will take awile too. but all in all, looking forward to it,

anyone here shoot a underhammer ?

happy new year

buckweet

Hi Buckwheat,
I've had several "Underhammer Rifles" through the years.
Presently, I have two, a H&A .40 cal. and a custom .45.
I am also building a .58, with an action built from scratch.
Good luck with yours, they are generally a very accurate gun.
Have you visited "The Gun Works" site, they usually have several for sale.
Also there was a H&A .36 Buggy rifle here in the classified ads, a couple of weeks ago, I don't think it sold.
Best Regards
Old Ford

Old Ford said:
Hi Buckwheat,
I've had several "Underhammer Rifles" through the years.
Presently, I have two, a H&A .40 cal. and a custom .45.
I am also building a .58, with an action built from scratch.
Good luck with yours, they are generally a very accurate gun.
Have you visited "The Gun Works" site, they usually have several for sale.
Also there was a H&A .36 Buggy rifle here in the classified ads, a couple of weeks ago, I don't think it sold.
Best Regards
Old Ford

old ford , thanks for the info...
i'll pm ya.

PICT0387.jpg

I've had this H&A .45 a long, long time and it's still a tack driver. It has take squirrel, bobcat, deer and more. You'll love an underhammer in any caliber.

hanshi said:
PICT0387.jpg

I've had this H&A .45 a long, long time and it's still a tack driver. It has take squirrel, bobcat, deer and more. You'll love an underhammer in any caliber.

that is one beautifull rifle,
someday soon, i hope's...i'll have mine.

IMG_7540.jpg

The top underhammer is a .62 rifled bore. The lower is a .36 caliber. Took two whitetail does with the .62 this year.

gmww said:
IMG_7540.jpg

The top underhammer is a .62 rifled bore. The lower is a .36 caliber. Took two whitetail does with the .62 this year.

in a word....[AWSOME] .........

absoulty beutefull !!!!
what loads are you using in the .62 ?
i've never shot a .62, but i've ordered a 62 barrel,
would KILL for a frame like that.
just awsome. :bow:

I'm only using 80 grns. of RS. for the .62 ball. The frame on the .62 is an old H&A. I had John Taylor (a member here) shave the sides to give it that look. The brass frame is completely made by John. The engraving is from a friend of his. The brass underhammer belongs to John. I had it for a short time to finish the stock.

John made me a similar frame but I don't have the engraving. The .62 shoots very well and the recoil isn't all that bad. Of course your results can vary depending on powder charge and configuration of the stock. :grin:

I have one in .38 that I built from scratch including the barrel, false muzzle, etc. Unfortunately, at 25 lbs, it's not a casual gun to just grab and go shoot. Fact is, it's been at least 10 years since I last had it out. :(
I would like to build another someday in a more user friendly weight.
The ones posted so far look great!!!!

underhammer.jpg

Does John Taylor still make underhammer actions or rifles? Do you know anyone who makes good quality actions? I contacted Pacific Rifle Co. and they won't sell just an action.

Yes he does. He is a member here and you can contact him. He keeps pretty busy but I like to visit him every couple of months and have him work on my rifles. The brass versions are using H&A hammers an triggers. The rest he makes.

Also see if Deer Creek still has some actions. It has been hit and miss with them over the years. I believe they are trying to downsize. Nice folks though.

What makes a underhammer rifle so accurate??
I have over many years that they are the best.Do you spend more time making that shot count because it is a different type of rifle?

I'm thinking it might be the fast ignition. Spark directly into the side of the powder vs bending through a channel. But that's speculation on my part. I've shot my sidelock that is pretty darn fast for ignition and is pretty accurate as well.

What about those of us who are "tool challenged" :idunno: ?
I've an H&A action and most of the parts to rebarrel and build a rifle but none of the talent required. Who does this kind of work today?

John

As far as the action is concerned I believe you can do it yourself. My 11 year old built her action and blued it as well. The barrel is a different story. You'll need a machinist to assist with placement of the nipple and some minor fitting.

PB200094.jpg

Buckwheat,
I have a number of underhammers, most of them H&A's and one by Cecil Brookes. I have offhand rifles, chunk guns and am now putting one together to shoot trap. They are simple in every way yet accurate to a fault.
Mark

I made my first one about 1985, a Buggy in .36 cal.

Don't ever leave them in the dark, they multiply!

.32 to 7ga.

Bruce

Papa said:
Buckwheat,
I have a number of underhammers, most of them H&A's and one by Cecil Brookes. I have offhand rifles, chunk guns and am now putting one together to shoot trap. They are simple in every way yet accurate to a fault.
Mark

well... im all thumbs. but ? on the other hand ? i kept a 48 john deere ''A'' tractor running for over 20 years, with baling wire and duck tape.
even had barbed wire for a spark plug wire.
made a homebuilt bale buggy outta old boat trailer axle, come/along with bale spike.
looked like major bubba, but it worked.
i just hope i can do this.

gmww said:
As far as the action is concerned I believe you can do it yourself. My 11 year old built her action and blued it as well. The barrel is a different story. You'll need a machinist to assist with placement of the nipple and some minor fitting.

PB200094.jpg

1st off you got one cute kid..!
and awsome action !? you made it your selfe ?
i'ed love to know how to make my own action.
i do have a sawmill ? might be able to cutt some stock blanks.
barrel ? guess i'll call green mountin, if i try for another one.
you guys keeping me up late at night thinking.

Papa said:
Buckwheat,
Mark

well mark ? if they are anything like AR's...i'll probly wind up with more than one.
the simple part is what im looking for.

Back