• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building percussion lock 12 gauge

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to follow this thread all the way to the finished shotgun. It should be a fun and challenging project. Kind of like shooting 5 stand. The best I've done is 19 with my 16 gauge German SxS. A muzzleloader would be even more humbling!
Definitely humbling! It will be a long while before I finish, unfortunately.

I was clarifying it was all muzzleloaders because I want aware there were people that shot clays with muzzleloaders. I figured your friend was making both muzzleloaders and over and unders. That’s awesome though! Exciting to hear there is a like minded community.

I don’t know what vent ribs are, but I know I want to come up with a way to adjust a sxs on the fly, wether it’s by some sort of adjustable pad, or premade inserts, but I need to learn how to make the basics first.
The local muzzleloading club, The Red River Renegades, has an annual shotgun Soiree in the spring. It's a 3 day event, trap, skeet, sporting clays. You'll see every kind and type of muzzleloading shotgun,, shooters from all over America.

I'm sure many muzzleloading clubs have a similar event.

To make a cartridge firearm you have much more federal regulation and oversight. He NEVER made a cartridge arm..

I'll try and post pics of the 2 muzzleloading shotguns I have made using cartridge shotgun barrels.

Last edited:
Juried rendezvous? These were muzzleloader shotguns? I can imagine that many other people, besides me, would want to reload through the muzzle. This is exciting to me. I must not be crazy for wanting to shoot black powder muzzleloader for clays.
Btw, the birds at the RRR range fly just as fast as a cartridge event at the local Field and Stream. In fact, they use the same type of machine.
About the only difference between muzzleloading and cartridge matches is the muzzleloading match is longer and unless it's windy you won't often see the birds break.

That’s the book I started looking into, but I couldn’t justify spending the 150. Not because I can’t afford it, but because In a matter of weeks it went from 50 dollars to 150. Was brockways book worth it?
Have you tried your local library? Around here if they don’t have the title you’re looking for, it can be shipped in from any library in the country that has it. No charge to you, it doesn’t get much better than that!

Btw, the birds at the RRR range fly just as fast as a cartridge event at the local Field and Stream. In fact, they use the same type of machine.
About the only difference between muzzleloading and cartridge matches is the muzzleloading match is longer and unless it's windy you won't often see the birds break.
That’s why I’m building a muzzle loading shotgun. So I don’t have to worry about regs. Why don’t you see the birds break? Because they don’t hit them? or because they powder them?

Have you tried your local library? Around here if they don’t have the title you’re looking for, it can be shipped in from any library in the country that has it. No charge to you, it doesn’t get much better than that!
I have not tried the library, but I will check it out.

That’s why I’m building a muzzle loading shotgun. So I don’t have to worry about regs. Why don’t you see the birds break? Because they don’t hit them? or because they powder them?
My muzzleloading shotguns have no problems breaking clay birds. I shoot the same scores whether shooting smokeless or black.

The puff of smoke is the reason they're hard to see.

I'm not very good at trap or skeet. I have a bad tendency of stopping my swing.
That's the trouble with being a good rifle shooter. I know of very few people that are good at both rifle and clays . These days I'm bad at both. :dunno:

The puff of smoke is the reason they're hard to see.

I'm not very good at trap or skeet. I have a bad tendency of stopping my swing.
Lol, I didn’t even think about how much that would affect seeing the target break. How do people score?

Over the years I have restocked 2 percussion doubles and 1 exposed hammer breechloader. Be prepared for a lot of hard work and lots of time spent. It's not hard to see why double barrel muzzleloaders start at 2500 dollars.

Over the years I have restocked 2 percussion doubles and 1 exposed hammer breechloader. Be prepared for a lot of hard work and lots of time spent. It's not hard to see why double barrel muzzleloaders start at 2500 dollars.
Pedersoli’s are 1350 assembled and they sell a kit version for 900. What are other brands? Are they handed down antique? Or reproductions that your are speaking of?

My friend Ken said he'd restocked a couple of doubles in his time, but wouldn't do it again.

Lol, I didn’t even think about how much that would affect seeing the target break. How do people score?
At the RRR shoot the scoring station is about 30-40 yards behind and slightly above the shooters. This helps a lot. But you have to not be distracted while scoring...

My friend Ken said he'd restocked a couple of doubles in his time, but wouldn't do it again.
Everything I have ever done has been the things people told me were too hard. Started with everyone telling me not to take apart transmissions and modify/repair them myself. Slowly, that lists keeps growing. I’m up for the challenge. I will start with a single first though.

Not gonna lie, you guys have made it sound like it’s not fun.

Last edited:
Everything I have ever done has been the things people told me were too hard. Started with everyone telling me not to take apart transmissions and modify/repair them myself. Slowly, that lists keeps growing. I’m up for the challenge. I will start with a single first though.

Not gonna lie, you guys have made it sound like it’s not fun.
I would definitely start off with a single barrel. But that's just me.

Unless you are an expert with soldering and machine work I would never attempt a double. I just finished a scratch single barrel English Sporting 12 ga. and i I am just starting to build another one in a 20 ga. That is all I want. I looked at making a double and no thanks.

I'd like to follow this thread all the way to the finished shotgun. It should be a fun and challenging project. Kind of like shooting 5 stand. The best I've done is 19 with my 16 gauge German SxS. A muzzleloader would be even more humbling!
16 GA Sauer hammer double is a most prized possession. Ranks not far behind my wife and dog.

Back