• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Building tool recommendations?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got my books in the mail today, and all I have to say is WOW!! Gunsmith of Grenville County and The Longrifles of Western Pennsylvania both came in from used shops that sell through Amazon... and I did WELL. I got them both around half off of new, and they both look in nearly perfect condition! I'm going to be reading for QUITE some time!

I'm with you Rich! Scrapers get alot of work done and they leave a fairly nice finish rather than the rough raspy looking rasp finish! for a small scraper I just use a utility knife blade its small and can get into tight spots and if it gets dull a quick few passes on a crock stick sharpens it to like new ! Maybe not the best way to do things but it works for me :grin:

Mikey: I don't know that I would go that far when it comes to Dremel tools.

I use mine for some jobs like cutting the lock mortice to a consistant depth. It also works very well for making other little mill cuts. Of course, this requres the use of the little router base that can be bought.

When cutting the lock mortice depth, I always keep the Dremels cutter at least 1/8 inch away from the finished sides of the pocket.
The same router base setup works very well for cutting the clearances for the locks bridle, tumbler, sear and mainspring and the depth of all of these cuts is easily controled with the depth adjustment screw that's built into the device.

zonie :)

Latest posts

Back