• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullet / Powder choice for GPH

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limbbender

Pilgrim
Reaction score
As I am just getting started, I was thinking of using Triple Seven FFG and Hornady Great Plains bullets in my .54 1:32 twist GPH. This is a "hunting load" but I want as accurate a load as I can get. Is this a good starting point? Why / Why not? Thanks in advance!

777 reportedly produces noticiably sharper recoil and higher velocity than just about any other powder. It sometimes shoots more erratically too since it doesn't like to be compacted nearly as much when loaded, and that might be harder to keep from doing when loading a heavier hunting conical.
I like 777 in the smaller .36 caliber rifle, but I personally wouldn't use it with such a large heavy projectile. But then I like to avoid unecessary recoil and don't know about your hunting needs & requirements either.

Both APP fffg & Pyrodex P are substitute powders worth considering.

I was at the range yesterday with my .54 t/c hawken percussion 1:48 twist using the Hornady gph 435 grain hollow points and 90 gns of 2f 777. Off a rest at 25 yds I had a 3 shot group of 1 1/4 inches and at 50 yds had the same size 3 shot group, again with 90 gns. powder. I also had some 380 gn REAL Lee bullets molded up that I shot at 50 using the 90 gns but the group opened considerably- about 4 inches. At this stage my barrel was fouled and since I usually forget something- this time I forgot my cleaning jag and couldn't swab out. I was looking at my past groups and had some good-for me- groups using the REAL with 70 gns of 777 2f. Size of about 1 1/4 at 50 yd for 3 shots. I would like to try it with a swabbed bore with 90 gns. I've also just ordered 100 450 gn great plains hunter bullets cast in a lyman mold -not a hollow point- and don't know or believe that they have the hollow base like the hornady. If they shoot as well as the hornady I might buy a mold.

You'll get more consistent/easier ignition with real black powder. I've a 54 cal with 1-28 twist that does well with hornady GP 425gr over a lubed wonder wad and 90 gr GOEX FFg. I sight in ca. 2 in high at 50 yds and I'm good out to 100 yd (just a bit low). Thats about as far as I like to shoot with open sights on game.

I've also had good luck with buffalo bullets in my 50 cal guns (385gr VERY accurate over wonderwad/80gr FFg) but have not tried them in my 54. They are similar to the hornadays but the sides are knurled instead of grooved.

Back