• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bullet selection help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jacketed sabots are worth a try but are outside the area of discussion on this forum. I use pure lead conicals. And try to keep velocity below 1200 fps to prevent lead fouling.

The lenth of bullet for .50 cal i come up with are

2 inch bullet 1-19

1-1/4 inch bullet 1-30

1 inch bullet 1-37.5

1/2 inch ball 1-75

The problem with not enough twist is a falure to stabalize and the bullet starts to wobble (yaw) in flight and in the extreme case tumble showing on the target as if it went though sideways (keyholing), most often the minor wobble just produces poor accuracy or what look ok at 50 yards and terrible at a 100.

To much twist for a given bullet length and the bullet can't hold the rifling and jump the track so it doesn't get consistent spin and shoots poorly and sometimes keyholing.

A tightly patched round ball can shoot well from a fast twist rifle with a very light load.

The great plains 385 gr your shooting is a bit short it is really made for a 1-48 twist. They shoot great in my 1-48 TC New Englander with a heavy load 110gr. I bet it will shoot in your rifle with 50-70 grains 2ff black. I don't use triple 7 any more i think its too hot but try the 777 it with 40-60 grains.

Make sure of the rifle clean it so it has a clean dry bore to start at range. Shoot from a bench rest at 50 yards. I like to shoot 5 shot groups i swab with a damp not wet spit patch between each shot. Since Great Plains bullets are expesive i would try the round ball at like 25-30grns a tight patch ball combo so it ake a good whack on the short started to start the ball. My CVA 50's like .495 round ball and .015-.018 patch i use unlubed spit patches at the range and just rub the same patches on a block of beeswax for field use. I never had a cva the didn't shoot well with the right combo.

Bob

Bob

Well,I went to the range yesterday to try some different bullets.I got a hold of 20 "max-e-ball" bullets from Mountainman Muzzleloaders co.I greased them up good with bore butter and fired them at 50 yrds with 70 gr of 777.Shot a group.not a good group but better than the pattern it was shooting with 80 and 90 grs.Group was about 4 or 5 inches.I'll try normal bp today and the max-e-balls.
Does someone make a bullet thats the right length for my rifling,or will I have to buy a mold and make my own?

Chainsaw,

As has been pointed out .50 cal rifle bullets are usually .510-.512 and would need to be sized down in a press in stages.

I did find a 420 gn .501 pistol bullet at Hunter Supply. The lenth on this would be very close. They come lubed and i would use a felt wad over the powder.

Product Description

500 S&W, 50 Beowulf 420 grain FP dia .501 Lead Bullet for hunting of medium, large, and heavy dangerous game. Heavy recoil .

The problem is they are cast with a harder alloy. I asked them about having cast it in pure lead or just a touch harder.

Bob

Latest posts

Back