• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bullets hard to load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkinde

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've gone out and bought a muriad of conicals for my new muzzleloader and found a lot of them hard to load past the muzzle. Beyond that they go down fairly easy, but the point just inside the muzzle requires some considerable force to start. The bullets that give me the most problem are the Hornaday great plains, and Buffalo bullets in 50 cal. Picked up some Black Belts and they go down perfect. Anyone have this experience or explaination on this subject?

I've found the short starter fixes that problem. The Great Plains has been a good shooter in most of my guns. Basically your engraving the bullet as you load it.

Just don't try hard cast pistol bullet! Don't ask me why I know! :rotf:

Most conicals are designed that way. They are doing exactly what they are supposed to do. The top band around the bullet is slightly over bore size while the rest of the bullet is slightly under size. The bullet is supposed to be engraved by the rifling when you load. It will take a little effort to get them started. Bullets like the Black Belt/Powerbelt are designed to slip right down the bore.

HD

I had the same problem with Buffalo Bullets. I think the hard ones are not pure lead. I bought my own TC Maxi molds and make my own now.

Garryowen

The only conicals that should be easy to load are hollow based. As someone already stated solid based bullets have to have the rifling engraved when they're loaded.

My Buffalo Bullets were 385 grain hollow point /hollow based. I used them for quite awhile. Just the last batch was hard to load.

Garryowen

Elkinde said:
I've gone out and bought a muriad of conicals for my new muzzleloader and found a lot of them hard to load past the muzzle. Beyond that they go down fairly easy, but the point just inside the muzzle requires some considerable force to start. The bullets that give me the most problem are the Hornaday great plains, and Buffalo bullets in 50 cal. Picked up some Black Belts and they go down perfect. Anyone have this experience or explaination on this subject?

As stated, you are engraving the rifling as you load. Bigger bullets shoot better in some of my barrels...............So how do these big bullets group, that is the real question? :hmm:

I've got a large lot of buffalos in 50 that are hard to start too. Not significantly more so than the hornadays I shoot out of my 54 and 58 though.

I made a wood t-handle for my ramrod and use the end of that to get them started. Seem to shoot good out of my GM barrel

Haven't had an afternoon to play with an individual bullet yet, just kind of testing them to see how they load. Like I said I've bought a score of different kinds of bullets to test. And I've got a few different guns to test them with so I'm going to be at it for a while. Thing is finding time to "play" is the key. Work a lot of hours so time is limited. I'll be back with comments and questions I'm sure.

Elkinde,
Maybe it is just your barrel saying
feed me PRB :rotf: :rotf:
snake-eyes :v

Back