• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

bun cushion?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Fred now that you asked, in your neck of the woods it may be called a tush cush, hot seat but as I grow older them thar blow downs and rocks get harder on my skinny butt. So instead of a 2"thick cushion hanging from my possibles bag, I wanted to try some idea that might be accepted as somewhat period correct. Got any ideas?
Thanks, Randy

Daniel didn't use no stinking bun cushion!!
:grin:

Maybe an inflatable that you could have collapsed inside your possibles bag;

Maybe a foam cushion flipped up out of sight under the back of your shirt / coat like thre cushions on some modern turkey hunting vests;

I thought I heard somewhere that all the guys on this site already had enough cushion on their buns??? :rotf:

Osprey said:
I thought I heard somewhere that all the guys on this site already had enough cushion on their buns??? :rotf:

Not me! The "cushion" has collected between my ears (at least today)......

Well....in all my days of elk hunting I really didn't sit that much and that's what I like about elk hunting.... constantly moving at a slow pace. If I were to sit, I'd use a small "triple duty" inflatable donut which can be used for stooping in or out of camp, for just relaxing while watching for a 6X6 to meander over and if it's done right, uncork it and use it for an elk call. Now that's what I call "traveling light"......Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
A waxed or oiled piece of canvas, cloth, or leather ought to work to keep the wet out. Then put it next to the rock or blowdown instead of on the rock/blowdown. Dirt is softer and you get to lean back on somethin'. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies. I had thought about sewing some foam between two pieces of leather, problem is that when I sit by a tree in the snow I probably just invented the primitive sled. Maybe I need to take a rope along and tie my skinny butt to the tree. Only 70 days till we leave for Colorado. Take Care, Randy

I service car dealerships by posting their cars on the internet. One summer, I was collecting the vehicle data on a truck and found a self inflating cushion with a waist belt behind the seat. It was made for hunting as it is camo with a ballistic nylon bottom. Anyway, they gave it to me, so that is what I use. It is commercially produced, but I cannot find any manufacturer's mark on it.

You need to make up some mini-bean bag chairs.

Corduroy seems to be the best material, fill it with those little Styrofoam beads, about 3-4 inches thick.

Weighs ounces, is a 100% cold barrier, makes a good pillow back at camp.

Cost about $2

I have one of the self inflate types. They are made by Hunters specialties. Sometimes moss just aint enough.

Osprey said:
Don't know about that, but I'd have to lay belly down on mine :surrender: ...Nifeman

Back