• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

butch wax

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Years ago I had a Navy Arms 36 cal. Navy. There was about 1/8" over the ball which I wiped in butch wax. Still a good idea if the butch was is still made?

Known as Butchers wax. Made by Butchers wax Company.

Boston Polish is my favorite stock polish and wax. Bowling alley wax is as suggested for harder use.

Still available try Lowes or Amazon. Lots of carnauba wax in each.
Funny. I have used "butch-wax", on my flat-top in the late '50's, and currently own a large tin of Butcher's Wax. Though the viscosity of both is similar, I wouldn't suggest using them interchangeably (even on lead balls).

Funny. I have used "butch-wax", on my flat-top in the late '50's, and currently own a large tin of Butcher's Wax. Though the viscosity of both is similar, I wouldn't suggest using them interchangeably (even on lead balls).

Aren’t we talking about the Butcher’s Wax the British Museum and other museums like to use on metal, wood, and leather?

Back