• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Butcher Knife with Beaded Sheath

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

church son

32 Cal.
Reaction score
"I contacted a company in Sheffield England that has been in the knife business since 1700. I was trying to obtain information about knives that would have been available in 1803 and perhaps used by the Lewis & Clark expedition. The company told me that the majority of their utility cutlery was going to North America and Africa all through the 1700 & 1800s. Their records show a common butcher knife just like those used today."(Gene Hickman)

This butcher doesn’t have that romantic of a story, it came from a yard sale. The handle had been filed to more of a ball end and the front of the handle was splintered pretty bad. But it reminded me of the Plains Indians photos I’ve seen from the mid to late 1800”²s where the blade has been sharpened to more of a recurve.
So it needed saving”¦and it needed a beaded sheath.

I cut away the splintered part and poured a pewter bolster, then wrapped rawhide around the handle. No name or mark on it and it had iron pins instead of brass.
It’s a big one, 15”³ overall.

butch1.jpg
butch2.jpg
butch3.jpg

The sheath I have hours and hours in. All enjoyable. Something to do at night. It has a horsehide liner and brain tanned cover. It is the first one I've done with a beaded hanger, apparently the Indians didn't mind their knife bouncing around. The beads are #8 and #10 and the pattern taken from a bunch of photos, no specific sheath. I hand rolled the tin tinklers and the horse hair is from my lovely bride’s paint mare.
I hate winter but I love these wintertime projects”¦Although I don't post much, I read every word of this forum and enjoy it immensely. It can be intimidating the amount of knowledge and talent here.
Thanks....Randy Church

Randy, I salute you and your dedication to researching your knife and sheath Winter project!

A very big part of historic crafts, is research and not just what "somebody" says. My signature says it all! ... You truly have a part of your life in this project!

Thanks for showing us,

Rick :hatsoff:

Good save on the knife and the hours of work in the sheath show.
Outstanding! :thumbsup:

Thanks Gents, means a lot.
An old injury has reared it's head and made forging this winter almost impossible..Funny how age does that, fine for years then all of a sudden you can't move, so I've had time for other stuff this winter after work instead of watching TV. Here's another one from this winter, my pipe and bag. Smokes a lot cooler than my corncobs...Randy

pipe4.jpg

Back