• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Buyers remorse on 0 buckshot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshsimonswvu

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently got a Crockett kit and I am about finished with it. Me being a cheap skate miser, I opted to buy some bulk single ought buckshot in lue of .310 round balls. 8# ran me around 34 bucks. I haven't even shot it yet but I'm starting to doubt my decision. Any yall ever shot them? What patch, etc? And are they suitable for hunting squirrels? I hope to minimize damage, so expansion is not an issue. Just wondering about accuracy/ consistency. Thanks a bunch in advance. Can't wait for hunting season already.

I use the buck shot in my .32 target barrel for my T/C Renegade. The bore of this barrel is slightly oversize, so the .320 ball with a .010 patch is a pretty snug fit, but it sure is accurate. I thing this ball will be too large for the "Crockett". A .310-.315 ball will load much easier. The .320 ball may not load at all unless you beat it down with a hammer.

Fyrstyk

I did the same thing with the buckshot. 0.30 and a really heavy patch. At best it was OK but I was really disappointed with poor accuracy. I ended up buying the 0.310 and became amazed with the tack driving ability of the rifle and 20 gr of fffg (32 H&R mag case). It is my favorite squirrel getter.
Jamie

I used the buck shot for a while but got tired of sorting them by weight.

Do yall think rolling them in a brass tumbler in medium would thin them a bit to load easier? Just brainstorming.

I'm confused. The box of Hornaday 0 buck that I have says (and mikes) at .320. Are there standard sizes for buck shot??

Fyrstyk

Yes, 0 buck is .320 and #1 buck is .300
In my Crockett the .320 will not fit in the barrel and .300 with even a heavy patch gives poor accuracy. There is at least one website I found that sells what they call 1 1/2 buck that is claimed to be .310 and they sell it in 8# packages for around $34 + sh.

I called and switched my order to 1 1/2 @.310. I didn't see that when I ordered the single 0. That's 1280 rounds for $34. Hope they shoot well.

How much would the .310" balls have cost you? I cast .312" balls and charge .06 each. Shipping is expensive though from up here with me maybe being able to ship for $5 for 100 and the price tripling after the weight limit for postage is exceeded.
Not much demand for the smaller round ball up here.

I think around $8/ 100 from ToW. I'm getting around 1280 buckshot for $34. I got a coupon code for reduced shipping too. I'm a miser to a fault at times.

Where are you ordering the 1 1/2 buck shot from? I have been casting .311 balls for quite some time, but this sounds pretty good and economical to me.

Fyrstyk

That's nice that you were able to change your order. With some experimenting they should shoot just fine.

I'm not sure being a cheapskate or a miser are things to be proud of; however, a Lee double cavity mold can be had for under $35, and would save you money in the long run.

I had really good luck shooting buckshot out of my .32 Douglas barrel.. This was at 100yds off of a rest on a calm day.

Wow! That's impressive for 100 yards. I would love to know your load data.
its back way too long since I've shot my Cherokee .32. Time to dust it off.

Christophero said:
Wow! That's impressive for 100 yards. I would love to know your load data.
its back way too long since I've shot my Cherokee .32. Time to dust it off.
Normally I shoot 25 grains of 3F.. .008 patch and Hornady buckshot out to 50 yds it is great.. the barrel must be a bit larger than .32 that its marked :haha: But anyway at 100 yds with that load I could keep them all in the black but they were just all in the black. I doubled the charge to 50 grains and that was the result. It just goes to show that buckshot can be accurate out of a small caliber is all. :thumbsup:

Back