• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

c&b revolver or plains pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks WV!
I don't have my heart set on the 1860. It's the Colt that I like best. I also really liked the 1858 Remington. One of the Remingtons had target sights- the rear was like on any S&W modern revolver.
Any thoughts on the 1858 target model?
Jim

I have a Euroarms 1860 Colt, (in disrepair at the moment due to my first chain fire blowing the loading lever catch off) and for one hand shooting, feel and pointability there is "something about" the 1860 Colt. I have also owned a 1851 in .44 calibre. (or .45 the truth be known!) Holding the 1860, and a .45" 1851 side by side, I kind of like the '51 better though.

However, though I would not get rid of my 1860, since I picked up the Uberti Remington Navy, it has become my favorite for sure. I've also "discovered" what a great calibre the .36 is. (.380" the truth be known...!!) It is NOT a weak sister to the .45's, packs a hard punch, but at the same time when loaded down, the smaller ball is a bit better for body shots on wabbits and grouse. When hunting big game with a rifle or Bess I carry the Navy for a small game/survival tool, two legged varmint repellent, and the coup-de-grass if needed. I plan to carry the Plains Pistol when Bess is loaded with shot while hunting grouse.

So I would also consider the Remington Navy, or a 1851, unless it has to be a .45". (I forgot) As you won't be deer hunting with a 1860 or 1858 anyhow, you may find a .36 to be a very nice calibre. Again it is NOT weak.

Judging from my Remington Navy, and my 1860, it's been my experience that the Remington is less likely to jam from cap fragments. For me, the Remington has been more reliable.

By the way, I prefer flint over caps, but decided that for a holster pistol, that I would carry a lot, a percussion might be better, so I went with the cap-gun on the Plains Pistol. But I'm not really sure why a flinter pistol would be dangerous to carry in a holster, as most people say they is...when I really get to thinking about it...?? But a percussion single shot is also a bit more compact.

WV Hillbilly, no I knew you'd take it as intended...but I have seen people on forums/message boards, who seemed to be on there for the single purpose of getting upset and blowing thier corks at people!

:curse:

So I always throw in a "disclaimer"!

Rat

You can't be too rich or too handsome, and you can never have too many muzzleloaders. Or so my grandmother used to say.

You can't be too rich or too handsome, and you can never have too many muzzleloaders. Or so my grandmother used to say.

Well that disqualifies me, as I don't fit ANY of the above characteristcs.:cry:

What is being poor, ugly, and only having a few well-used muzzleloaders worth? :hmm:

I never "wished I was an Oscar Meyer Weiner" either... Knowing how my luck works, that one would probably come true! :crackup:

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

How did Gus in Lonesome Dove carry his Walker with out
pulling his pants down. Easy, I have seen a number of
the sets for western movies. The actors carry rubber
molds of real guns painted to look real. When they
have to fire one an Expert in fire arms hands them a
loaded gun. They fire it and the Expert{Prop Man}
takes it back Pronto.
A friend of mine was a wrangler for the Mtn. Man with
Heston and Kieth. When the extras showed up with thier
nice custom MLrs they were banned on the location.
These fellows all BP shooters were issued rubber guns.
Now there was some kinda cussin up on Toccahti Pass.

Redwing :redthumb:

I dunno. I have no difficulty carrying my Walkers. There have been times when having 4 lbs. 9 ozs. of iron on my hip has been quite reassuring. And all it takes is a Sam Browne style shoulder strap. I think folks make way too much of an issue about the weight.
Should anyone be interested, just type sam browne into your browser window and you will see how simple it is. You probably don't need a sword hanger, but it couldn't hurt.

If you are not interested in total authenticity for a particular time period and want the fun factor, then I'd get a Colt in whatever model you want. The '61 Navy should not be ignored either - it is an excellent pointer. The first BP firearm I ever fired over 30 years ago was an original 1860 Colt, then I bought a Rem '58 replica from Dixie for regular work. I had no trouble hitting with it using the sights but I did not like the grip and had trouble holding on to it. However, it is a stout pistol and will shoot healthy loads - a buddy of mine killed a couple of wild pigs with it. I later bought a Uberti 1860 Colt and prefer it over all else. Even though the sights are rudimentary, I've shot cloverleaf groups off hand at 15 to 20 yds by pointing. It's somewhat like an instinctive archer shooting tiny little groups without sights.

I think John Wesley Hardin liked the 1860 for good reason... :grey:

I've got three '51s and a '61. Sometimes I like the '51s best and sometimes I like the '61. One of my '51s is especially accurate, but it's close. I think that there are few modern, cartridge guns that balance as well as a Navy model Colt. Or are as handsome, for that matter.

Back