• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

C & B Revolvers for Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

napolean

40 Cal.
Reaction score
In one of threads in the Pistols section there is some disscussion on hunting Deer with C & B revolvers. Hunting Regs. were brought up and I decided to look on-line at some states and here is what I found. These are public sites so I guess it's OK to paste em here.
Kansas:
Legal muzzleloading pistol for deer ”“ single barrel muzzleloading pistols .45 caliber or larger, that have a barrel length of 10 inches or greater and can be loaded only through the front of the barrel with separate components. Only hard-cast solid lead, conical lead or saboted bullets weighing 210 grains or greater may be used with muzzleloading pistols. Range-finding devices and optical scopes or sights that project no visible light toward the target and do not electronically amplify visible or infrared light may be used in both the muzzleloader-only and regular firearms seasons.

Texas:
Muzzleloader: Any firearm that is loaded only through the muzzle. Note: A cap and ball firearm in which the powder and ball are loaded into a cylinder is not a muzzleloader. Muzzleloader deer seasons are restricted to muzzleloading firearms only.

Oregon:
Muzzleloading firearms with revolving actions are prohibited during muzzleloader-only seasons and 600 series hunts where there is a weapon restriction of shotgun/muzzleloader only or archery/muzzleloader only.

North Carolina; No muzzleloading pistols are allowed for hunting. Cap and ball revolvers are considered a muzzleloading pistol. :(

In PA, deer hunting is limtied to centerfire, archery or MUZZLELOADER firearms. A Muzzleloading rifle must be at least 44 cal for deer. A muzzleloader pistol for deer must be at least 50 cal. C&B revolvers are not muzzleloaders. However, they are legal in PA for groundhogs and coyotes.

I hav'nt looked at all of the states, but so far the only one that looks like allows C & B revolvers for deer is Missouri. Even for regular firearms seasons the requirments for handguns for cartridge length, Ft. lbs of energy at 50 yds and such pretty much rules out C & B revolvers. As you see above Texas doesn't even recognise them as muzzle loaders.
Jon

Wyoming, Single Shot B/P handguns with .45 Cal. 10" barrels. The gun must propel a 240 Grs. bullet to 100 Yds. with 500 FPs of energy. Now what that would be, I have no idea. :idunno:

GoodCheer said:
Too bad a c&b revolver isn't made for hunting.
53 cal, 7" barrel. I'd want one.

That would be great. I well made cap and ball single action large enough to contain a hunting charge. I wonder if someone who is a skilled machinist could not create one?

In Illinois cap n ball revolvers aren't considered muzzleloaders but you can use them in the regular firearm seasons. What I wonder is, are they even capable of killing deer ethically? How accurate are they anyway?

How accurate depends on a lot of things. I can shoot a 5 inch group at 30 yards with my Ruger Old Army. That is better accuracy than many folks can do with a cartridge pistol. As for power, I can just barely cram not quite 40 grains into it. As for power at 30 yard, that is probably the lower limit of what I would use for deer. However, power isn't everything. There's blood loss, shock value, etc.

zimmerstutzen said:
How accurate depends on a lot of things. I can shoot a 5 inch group at 30 yards with my Ruger Old Army. That is better accuracy than many folks can do with a cartridge pistol. As for power, I can just barely cram not quite 40 grains into it. As for power at 30 yard, that is probably the lower limit of what I would use for deer. However, power isn't everything. There's blood loss, shock value, etc.
So, how accurate would a person be with one of these that isn't used to shooting pistols at all? Is there any delay in firing at all?

Delay in firing???? None, ignition as fast as a cartridge revolver.

The problem is with the capacity of the chamber to hold sufficient powder to develop power. The Walker cap and ball revvolver probably had the largest chamber of the common C&B guns. As I recall, 60 grains could be crammed into the chamber of a walker. Of course the other problem is barrel length suffient to consume the powder before the ball exits the muzzle.

I have shot dozens of ground hogs, skunks, raccoons, possums, a fox and a couple dogs with my cap and ball revolver. Had the unfortunate occasion to put down a few animals that had been hit by cars or were otherwise injured. Sheep goats and a pig. Pig was toughest. Goats went down like rocks. But then again, I wasn't more than 50 or 60 feet away at the furthest. And usually less than ten feet.

C & B revolvers are legal up here in NH, but only durring the regular firearms season, muzzleloader season is for single shot guns only. I have carried my Walker for deer hunting in the past, loaded with 50 grs of 3f and a .45 cal T/C maxiball- I figure the same ballistics as a .357 mag, more than enough for a deer 30 yards or less.

here in NC can't use them for deer but allowed for bear (go figure, I've carried my ROA on 2 bear hunts - no shots fired though) and hogs and other 'varmint' such as coyote and feral dogs.

This from the MN Hunting Regulations for 2009:

Ӣ The muzzleloader (long gun or handgun) used cannot be loaded at
the breech (muzzleloading revolvers are not legal for taking big game);
Ӣ The smooth-bore muzzleloader used is at least .45 caliber and
Ӣ The rifled muzzleloader used is at least .40 caliber;
Ӣ Muzzleloaders with scopes are legal during the regular firearms deer
seasons, but are not allowed during the muzzleloader season except by
special permit for hunters with a medically certified visual impairment.
Applications are available from the DNR Info Center, see page 127."

So in Minnesota, C&B revolvers may not be used, but handguns loaded via the muzzle are legal if they conform to the 40 cal rifled or 45 cal smoothbore. [/i]

The provision allowing 'scoped muzzleloaders during the firearms season is thought by some (including me) a concession to in-line shooters.

IMG_0061_2.jpg
This is a Max load 6 shots fired in a Rogers & Spencer Target at 25 yds. from a bench rest. Accuracy is not a problem. I doubt that most BP revolvers are powerful enough to take big game. The Walker should be OK out to 25 or 30 Yds.

FWIW. Yesterday I used my Cabelas .44 Colt Navy (30gr ffg, leather wad and RB) on a ~125lb feral hog. About 10 yds as she was running by. Dropped her in her tracks.

Good shootin Supercracker,
Those C & B revolvers are indeed capable of harvesting larger game within reasonable distance,and most states allow them for preditors,hogs,and small game. Just don't want them for muzzleloading seasons. Some states that allow handguns for regular firearms seasons have restrictions that rule out the C & B's such as cartridge length, bullet weight, ect.
Jon

Supercracker, I sure wish ya said it was on video.

I would have been jump'en up and down after you shot that hog.Hoot'en and a holler'en.

BGRooster1 said:
Supercracker, I sure wish ya said it was on video.

I would have been jump'en up and down after you shot that hog.Hoot'en and a holler'en.

ohhhhhh, no. I turned around to my buddy and played it off as though I make shots like that all the time. :thumbsup:

Of course, inside, the truffle shuffle was happening!

Latest posts

Back