• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CABELA'S BLUE RIDGE FLINTER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have about 100 shots through my .36 flinter and I like it pretty good. My only complaints are minor ones. The stock seems a little soft (easily dented) and the frizzen seems a little hard to open (But what do I know, I'm a "noobie" :winking: ). Also, they gave me about 1/2" too much front sight, so it takes FOREVER to get it filed down enough.

The good news is that whenever I actually load the powder before the ball( :redface: ), lead will fly very very shortly after I squeeze the trigger. The lock is real fast and the trigger on mine is sweet too, light and crisp. I shoot with a guy who has a hand made .40 with a small Siler lock and he seems to be real impressed with the gun.

Cabela's has 'em right now fer $450. I think they usually go fer over $500, so if you want one, you might want to go on and get it! :thumbsup:

I'm very pleased with my .45 Blueridge rifle. It shoots better than I can. The only adjustment I made was to open the vent hole up just a tad. I can't say enough good about it!
Rick

I bought one and gave it to pappy in law. No problems yet. he did have to enlarge the vent slightly. its a 50 caliber :results: :m2c:

I think what we're seeing here is the norm for factory products these days--quality control problems--some people love their blue ridge rifles and some hate'm. Last shoot at our little ML club the guy with the Pedersoli blue ridge won it all with no misfires or problems. On the other hand, I, with my new custom flintlock, had all kinds of problems and finally, after breaking my ramrod I had to withdraw....I had several misfires/hangfires, etc....some of that was just getting used to a new rifle, but it was painfully obvious that my $1500 rifle was being outclassed on the range by a $400 factory piece....It has taken me some time and effort (and enlarging the touchhole) on my custom rifle to get it to shoot reliably--not to mention making a new ramrod.....

A new gun SHOULD shoot low...you WANT it to shoot low. You then develope the load you want to shoot in it, THEN you file your front sight to get the POI where you want it.

If the gun shoots high, that can be a real headache to get it to shoot lower. I can think of no way for a new gun to shoot "on" with the vast variety of loads/powders, and bullets/balls that people are going to shoot in them.

A new gun should ALWAYS have a high front sight on it, that can be filed down, and SHOULD shoot low "out of the box".

Rat

I picked up a blueridge .32 a few years ago and have no complaints from mine. I filed the front sight down until it was barely a nub, then replaced the sights with some from Lyman as it shot 20" low at 25yards. Now, it will knock a squirrel in the head to 30yards with ease, probably farther if I didn't shake :: if I miss it is me :curse:

I truly enjoy slipping through the woods and shootin' a few squirrels ever-now-and-then with it.

Good luck and safe hunting
Wess

I have a Pedersoli .36 cal. flintlock Blue Ridge Rifle I bought through Cabelas.I was surprised by all the negative feed back concerning these rifles! :shocking: I have nothing but praise for[url] mine.Aside[/url] from filing the front sight it goes bang everytime,hits what I aim at, within range limitations,the stock is beuatiful( esspecially since I have treated it w/ boiled linseed oil and coal oil.Fit an finish was excellent. :redthumb:I could say the the very same for my Great Plains Rifle from Lyman I bought through Cabelas.The GPR would be less expensive I would imagine for a first gun.I suppose I have been lucky. However in light of all this I would suggest you go w/ the GPR...you will not be sorry! :m2c:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back