• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Blue Ridge Percussion Rifle .54cal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadrat79

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at getting my first BP rifle and have been looking at Cabela's Blue Ridge Percussion Rifle .54cal :hmm: does anyone currently have one of these or know about pros and cons? Any Info or Opinions are most appreciated,
Thanks,
Kyle

Not that particular model, but i have had a few of the Blue Ridges in flintlock. They are a good shooting, accurate rifle, although not historically correct if that is an issue with you. Not sure how the recoil would be with the .54 cal.? Wasn't too bad with the .50 cal.

Ya I prefere the Blue Ridge vs the Frontier because of the faster twist rate in the .54 cal. for conicals and hunting Elk and Mule Deer.

I have a Blue ridge flintlock in .50 cal.Everyone says that they are not pc,but I have a copy of Walter Klines book"Muzzleloading Rifles then and Now"And on plate 46 in the book there is a picture of a rifle that he says belonged to Simon Kenton,who was a friend of Daniel Boone,in fact is said to have saved his life on one occasion.I dont't know any more than that about his documentation,but the gun looks like a Blue Ridge right out of the catalog.

I"ve got one in .50 caliber ,flintlock of course.........shoots very[url] accuratley................In[/url] my .50 Blue Ridge with its 7/8ths inch barrel,I get heat shimmer (mirage) after 5 shots at the range.......No big deal on a hunting rifle.....But I'm sure the .54 has the same size barrel.....Anyway I wish had gotten the .54 when I bought mine.........
Why should a gun look period correct when the ones that do look period correct are made out of modern steel......Its sort of like a fake period correct...........If you squint your eyes a Blue Ridge looks mighty period correct...........If I squint my eyes Rosie Odonnell looks like Eva Langoria.......................Over and out

Last edited by a moderator:
"I dont't know any more than that about his documentation,but the gun looks like a Blue Ridge right out of the catalog"

If you were to examine the two guns up close you would find there are a lot of differences, often a simple profile shot does not really tell the story, The Blue Ridge can be modified to be fairly close to some late 18th or early 19th century guns...and it is pretty much accepted that modern steel and modern manufacturing processes do not detract from a gun being a PC replica though this is often tossed out by someone trying to debunk any post about a gun being PC.

About 6 weeks now. :grin: Just kiddin' Blaine, not sure how long i been here but i am member #686, so i guess it's been a while.

I have a blue ridge in a 36cal. and I like it alot, my only problem with is the lenth of pull 14 1/4 a little long for me, but it a great shooter.
cut finger

The Frontier rifle by Pedersoli has a twist rate of 1:65 according to their website and the Blue Ridge has a twist of 1:48 according to Cabela's.
Now the big thing is that the Frontier in .32-.50 cal. have a twist of 1:47 and the .54 the slower 1:65 so I dont know if Cabela's just forgot to put in that the .54 has a slower twist or not. Does anyone here have the Blue Ridge in the .54cal. that might know for sure what the twist rate is?? :hmm:
Thanks,
RoadRat

Man, that must be some squint! LOL! :shake:

I have had two Blue Ridge .54 rifles, flint, and I enjoyed shooting them. They were accurate and fun to shoot, but I don't remember the twist rate. One of them was a carbine, and I wish I had that one back.

RoadRat,
It's a bit overpriced IMO but a good
starter. Mite want to check a couple other
vendors. Check links forum.
snake-eyes :hmm:

The Blue Ridge is on sale in caplock for $459. Check the Cabelas link.[url] http://www.cabelas.com/cabela...parentType=&indexId=cat601141&hasJS=true[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
fw,
Go for it, you can catch him! MM signed up the day before Rebel, and he is looking at 14,000
:thumbsup: :applause: to you both!
snake-eyes :thumbsup:

:grin: Anybody try the Blue Ridge in .32 Flint???? I am not concerned about PC but I would imagine anyone with skills could put a period correct patchbox and gee-gaws to dress the little Plain-Jane up, similar to my Traditions .36 perc. Shenandoah. :hatsoff:

I had a Pedersoli Frontier Rifle .32 flint that was very accurate (cloveleaf) at 25 yards with a 310 rb and 20 grains of 3F. I regret selling that one.

My hunting partner has a Frontier carbine in .32 that he is quite fond of although he has not developed his hunting load

Richard

My brother has one in a 50 caliber carbine. He has never had a single problem with it. If I was going to buy a muzzleloader in this arena...I'd get a Thompson Center. You asked for opinions. I think you'll get better service in the long run and I believe that the Thompson Center is a tougher gun. It has a coiled spring that sets it apart from all other side locks. Thing is, I don't believe they still make the 54 caliber. They have curbed the production of many of their guns. I'd go for a used model in 54 caliber befor I'd buy the Cabela. That's just my impression. In the final analysis...you can't go wrong with your initial plan. I'am just a long time fan of Thompson Center.Oh, and I wouldn't be buying one of these guns thinking that you are getting something period correct. It ain't going to happen off the showroom floor in a production gun. Main thing is get you a gun and get to shoot'in. Have some fun and let us all know what your up too!

Back