• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabela's Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goupnorth

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I finished my Cabela's Hawken kit that I got for Christmas. I went to the range yesterday and the stock cracked with the very first shot! Has anyone had this problem from this manufacturer? Cabela's offered a kit exchange or a refund but I'm not sure if I want to risk finishing another kit.

I have a Cabela Hawkens but it was not a kit. First ML I had. Still have it and it's still doing well. If it were me, I take them up on the offer.

Where did it break?

That is a fairly common occurance if the lock through bolt is over tightend. It is a weak spot in the stock. Thompson Center prevented this from becoming a problem with their Hawkens by using the large through bolt bushing rather than Investarms small in the stock bushing.
You dont have to crank down on the lock through bolt, snug is enough to hold the lock in place firmly.
That being said, why not take a look at Lymans site and see if they have any "Specials" thy often have returned and refurbished/repaired guns at super prices. Use the $ from Cabelas and get one from Lyman. Cabelas is kind of pricy and you may save some $.

rattus used to recommend bedding the breech area on the Investarms single wedge guns that he sold. Cracks in the breech area apparently happen a lot.

Latest posts

Back