• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas Pedersoli Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I stopped by Cabelas today on the way home from Bucks Co., to take a look at their new Pedersoli Hawken. I will say first it is a nice holding and pointing gun, but I did not think to get the one that was available.

First, the flintlock version is sold out, and second, the Guys at the BP counter DID NOT have any interest in pulling the lock on a capper so I could check to see if Pedersoli is making a lock with a coil mainspring! :rotf: That is how it is listed on Cabelas web site!

However, there was one in the Bargain Cave, and since it was a tad marred up anyway, they were obliging. Here is what I saw.

-The lock on the rifle is the same lock that is put on the KY Rifle and Pistol, Dixie Cub, Scout and a few others. Has a V mainspring with a styrrup attached to the tumbler.

-The gun barrel is finished in a flat black Parkerizing, Cerekoting or Duracoating type finish, and looking at the dings on the edge of a barrel flat, and how my fingernail worked with it, it is not a durable finish.

-The gun also comes with fiber optic sights.

-The barrel is the same specification as the Dixie Cub, 28-3/8" and 1:48 twist. Maybe the same barrel? :hmm:

Anyway, I am sorry I didnt dig any deeper, such as RR pinning, sharpness of rifling, etc... Just didnt really appeal, so no reason to!

The one in the Cave was $334.99 plus tax. I thought about it again, and then decided that having to refinish a barrel on a new gun was not for me! Or having a new gun with crowded shopper digns either! :nono:

Appreciate the observations and have mixed feelings about what you saw/noted.

On one hand it sounds like Pedersoli has built a "K-Mart" model for Cabela's to sell cheap now that some of the other "off the shelf" models have gone by the wayside.

And, if someone already owns a muzzleloader, or a few, this may not be of any interest to them.

But, if you are looking for an entry level rifle, that bargain cave price sounded pretty attractive.

Consider that a typical lock (flint) goes for somewhat north of 140 bucks, and a bare barrel would at least cost you that, you could pick up this "dinged up" rifle for the cost of a lock and barrel.

(even if you work for nothing a "box of parts" and a stock will still run you 600-800 bucks)

Sounds reasonable if you are on a budget, given that there is very slim pickings in the sub $600 market for a new side lock and just want to get shooting.

Galamb,

This was the price of a display model, hence the scratches on the barrel. A new one is $549.99.

And don't get me wrong, this one at it's price point to me is much more enticing than what the TC Hawken's went for, and still go for at Gander Mt. here in Harrisburg. ($749.99).

This Pedersoli has nice wood, nice fit, a lock I have three guns with I enjoy shooting. And personally I like the wood masked PB over a solid one! :thumbsup:

But if I got one, that modern rapid rate of fire flat black finish on the barrel, and fiber optic sights (can I even mention that on here?)just isn't matched to the rest of the gun!

$5 for blue remover, $10 for a bottle of plum brown and some steel wool. Crack a couple of beers and light the blow torch, new rifle that looks good.

This was at a Cabela's? And it was a flintlock Hawken? I don't see one in the Pedersoli catalog, or on Cabela's website.. I have the Rocky Mountain Hawken, love it, but am wanting to get deaper into flinters..

Thanks.. be darned if I could find the flinter.. must not have clicked something right.. I did find the caplock.

Thanks Rusty.

Looking at those "Hawkens" I have to say...

...that "the usual suspects" here must be biting their tongues AND sitting on their hands not to take pot shots at everybody speaking about these favorably or just using the vaunted name. Let's see how long it lasts!

There haven't been that many posts here yet but I've never seen it so non-critical for so long under such circumstances before, LOL. I'm proud of the experts thus far.

I think it's great and I will tell you why. About two years ago I decided I would like to try hunting with black powder. I had mostly been a bow hunter as hunting with a high powered rifle and a scope did not appeal to my own sense of sport.

I did some research and purchased a very non PC/HC cap lock Lyman Deerstalker complete with blasphemous fiber optic sight and a recoil pad. I learned that I really enjoyed shooting PRB. Next I built a GPR flinter. I then rebuilt another deerstalker that had been abused and gave it to a friend. My next project was to carve a new stock from a blank. I was given an old TC hawken that someone had tried to carve up and I guess install a different lock. I was able to carve a pretty decent copy of track of the wolfs Jim bridged hawken using plans I purchased from there and using the TC parts

Currently I am working on a very PC/HC rifle from Jim Chambers. I am researching and planning my first period trek for the spring with the guy I rebuilt the other deerstalker for

My point is that everyone needs to start somewhere and that inexpensive and non PC deerstalker started me down the road and ignited my passion

Cool man! You have some developed skills there obviously too -- I wouldn't DREAM of starting a stock from an expensive blank.

Can we see a pic of the Bridger T/C Hawken please!?

Rusty -- link not working (for me anyway).

Latest posts

Back