• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas Traditional Hawken question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalakila

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Greetings to all you cap'n'ball shooters.
I'm thinking of getting a Traditional Hawken muzzleloader by Cabelas.
Okay, I've read all the reviews and found only one negative response. However, it wasn't specific. So ... my question. Whadda'ya'll think of this mzl?
I really like the the looks of it and I probably would get a T/C Hawken if it wasn't for the price being almost double what the Cabelas is.
So what's the verdict, gentlemen? Should I get the cheaper foreign stuff now or should I wait and save my money for the real good stuff later?
This will be my first traditional muzzleloader.

Thanks in advance.

Firstly, are you going to hunt with it or just shoot paper? I have the flintlock version of this rifle and am very happy with it. Mine is in .54 cal and will lift a 200 lb. feral hog right off it's feet at fifty yards. It will consistantly hit what you point it at and I haven't had any problems with it. Although I'll probably have to reharden the frizen pretty soon, I consider that a part of the normal wear on a rifle lock.

Well Sir, I plan to do both. Shoot paper first and then hunt wild boar next. I'm looking at the 50 cal Hawken by Cabelas since it's easier to get that caliber of conicals rather than the 54 cal.
I like the caplocks because I'm more familiar with them but I've seen the flintlocks in action over at our local range. I just like the convenience of capping a nipple over charging a pan.
But don't get me wrong. Like my uncle once said, for every advantage there's a disadvantage. And one disadvantage of a caplock is running out of them caps.

The Cabelas Hawken is made by Investarms. They're the same company that makes Lyman's fine line of guns. I own one in .54 percussion and another in kit form that I haven't started on yet. It's a very good shooter. Well made, high quality and accurate. I think it's one of the best muzzleloader values on the market right now.

You can get the same gun for a little less money at Dixie Gunworks and it doesn't have the Cabelas literature all over the barrel. I bought mine from Dixie specifically specifically for that reason.

Short Ranger,
I own 3 of the Cabelas Hawkins and I
can't say anything bad about them. I do have an
accuracy problem with the carbine, but that's
my fault. I just don't shoot it enough :redface:.
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

No gripes about any of the Investarms guns, but I'd think long and hard about the 50 vs 54 question if hogs are on your list, at least big ones. I just started shooting a 50 Lyman I built, and though I've got plenty of faith in the caliber based on other's experiences, it will probably always be second choice to my familiar 54 for hunting. Just an early prejudice while working in a new rifle, but I'm guessing that with both 50s and 54s in my rack, the 54's will continue to get most of use for hunting.

As for the "difficulty" in getting 54 conicals- NOT!

There's plenty of them out there and easy to get. If they're not on local shelves, you can easily order them. You can also cast your own. I'm not sure it makes a darn bit of difference in the how-dead-is-dead department, but go to the store and put a 50 conical and a 54 conical (or for that matter a 50 RB and a 54 RB) in your hand, and ask yourself which one you'd rather hunt with.

ShortRanger said:
Greetings to all you cap'n'ball shooters.
I'm thinking of getting a Traditional Hawken muzzleloader by Cabelas.
Okay, I've read all the reviews and found only one negative response. However, it wasn't specific. So ... my question. Whadda'ya'll think of this mzl?
I really like the the looks of it and I probably would get a T/C Hawken if it wasn't for the price being almost double what the Cabelas is.
So what's the verdict, gentlemen? Should I get the cheaper foreign stuff now or should I wait and save my money for the real good stuff later?
This will be my first traditional muzzleloader.

Thanks in advance.

i bought one a couple of months ago, southpaw version, & ive found mine fairly accurate, the best coming from 70 gr or either goex or 777 FF. the bore on mine is a bit oversize i guess, it prefers a .495 ball with an .018 patch.
i did have a couple of issues that required a little attention though.
The lock needed a bet of tweaking, when using the set trigger. it'd catch at half cock and not fire. though functionioned fine without using the set trigger, and the ramp on the rear sight moved around a little shot to shot. a little shimming took care of that. i'd also prefer a different configuration on the sights, but thats me, & eyes that arnt what they were 20 or 30 years ago.
dont expect much from the manual, its mainly a parts list.
all in all a decent rifle for the price & its turned out to be a decent shooter.

I have shot with some guys who had the Cabela's Hawken. They are a good rifle, but not at the price they're asking now. Look at the Lyman from DNR Sports:[url] http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_1529.html[/url] . You can get the Lyman Trade Rifle for over $100 less. The Great Plains Hunter for less than $20 more. If you can build a kit, the GPR or GPH is $60 less. Lyman is made by Investarms, the same company who makes Cabela's. I agree with BrownBear for caliber. I have two .54 GPR. one flint and one percussion. They are great shooting, rugged and good looking rifles. They are more gun for your dollar. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought a Cabela's Flintier in .45 cal. for hunting small game about 9 years ago.
It's shoots very accurate with round balls.
I did take a deer with it at about 40 yards and was very happy on the results....
Here is a picture of it:

378117.jpg

GPR has a 32 inch barrel. Different caliber barrels are available from several sources. The GPR is much more like a Hawken than the Cabela's gun. It is also known as one of the most solid buys in the muzzleloading world. Lately the reports have been spotty, so I would want to look over the gun I was getting from either source pretty good. Both are built in the same factory.

Back