• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What would make you break out your wallet?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would make me break out my wallet? For a gun? I think my wallet is in limbo for a while. I don't know how many guns I've seen advertised on this site I'l like to own, but the dollars just aren't going to be there going forward. Now I'm looking at a beautiful ash tree in my front yard that's been my joy for almost 20 years and is giving great shade, which I recently discovered has a severe borer infestation, despite routine annual systemic prevention. I may lose it, and that's going to cost big bucks taking it down, IF it can't be saved. It had a 3 in. bole when I had it put in and it's now 56 in. I'm too old to start over with a new baby tree.

Arborist coming next week.

Last edited:
Hey welcome the Forum! I personally love Thompson Centers. Everyone has their opinions so I hope others chime in as well. I bought my first in 1980, it was their .54 Renegade. As years went on I have always got them as I found good deals. One a couple years after the Renegade was the Hawkens in .54 from a guy at a bar that hated his New Gun. 120$ and it was my second. Just last month I found a .36 Seneca New in Box. Yes I have an addiction!!! They do not make these any longer but you do see parts all the time. As far as needing parts none of mine have ever needed and repair. They sell all the time from 3 or so up depending on what they have. I’ve taken deer and elk with.50s and .54s. Just ask for a lot of pics especially the bore. All have a 1/48 twist that works for roundball as well as conical. There are a couple models that have faster twists such as the White Mountain Carbine in .50 cal only that’s like 1/30 and the TreeHawk 1/21. There is the Pennsylvania Hunter and Pennsylvania Carbine that are for roundball only with a 1/66 twist. The New Englander is 1/48 both .50 and .54 Also the TreeHawk and New Englander have 12ga barrels for some real fun. It’s a lot to take in and I hope this helps. Feel free to ask away and check out the classifieds on here. There was just a New Englander that had all three barrels 12ga .50 and.54 the guy was asking 1000. Hope this helps and like I said ask away and I will try to help!!! Reds
Seen a Seneca on the Modern classifieds which brought me here in all honesty. That New Englander package sounds like it would have been mine if I was on here... a muzzleloading shotgun would be drug all over the country if I had one.
This is one I made for hunting. I used a Rigby stock from Pecatonica. I used a .45 caliber 1 in 24 twist barrel to shoot conicals. Have no idea who made the barrel something I picked up at friendship many years ago.
That's a rig right there. That peep though! That's what I'd like!
Thompson Big Boar in 58 nib had my wallet out nearly instantly..
A half price investarms did me in this week.
Should be ok for a few days now I have some new stuff to do.
I hear you. What is contentment anyway when there is always more?
If you're wanting to or having to hunt with conicals that doesn't necessarily limit the choices but does take some off the table. The Kiblers are excellent, but all the rifles have a round ball twist.
Right now, percussion caps are available but who knows how long that will last. You can get a kit to make your own caps though.
For a conical rifle I'd buy a Lyman Great Plains hunter right now were I to come across one. Investarms still makes that same rifle with the faster twist just under their model.
Still hard to pass up a TC no matter the model and most had 1-48 twist that'll do conicals well enough.
There are many more options. Depends on what one fancies.
It is more on the side of wanting to shoot conicals to get added range. Ideally a 150 yard rig. Further if possible. Not needing to by anymeans. I'd imagine with the right load and if I do my part a conical would suit me better than a PRB would at that distance although lungs is lungs.

Being a turkey nut getting close is the name of the game I enjoy the most but I can hunt 15 states give or take, and miss the longbeard, before I'd have enough points or same dollar amount spent on an elk trip, Non outfitted. The added distance, atleast I could only imagine added distance, with conicals would have me leaning that way. After getting a couple down on the ground I could absolutely see me running with a 54 or 58 PRB.

In time I'll absolutely have a nice collection. Started off on other unmentionables from periods of war. They were affordable. Muzz on the other hand have a much higher price tag to them compared to what I have a good handful of currently.

I know I'll probably end up with a 32 or 36 before I get a 50 or larger. Just getting info to get the ball a rolling.

Auction goers or folks who go to shows... do you bring a borescope of some sort to check bores before bidding or purchasing?

Hey there guys and maybe gals.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a percussion rifle for a long time. Even more so now that Knight has doubled there price on their rifles. Don't think the 45 I bought was worth what I paid for it even though I've worked out it's kinks.

My only knowledge has been a kit rifle traditions hawkens from the late 70's to the mid 80's most likely. Love that rifle. Just can't be mine yet. Dad won't hand it down. Sentimental value and all.

I'd love to put a kit rifle together myself but would also just like to get right to shooting... So here's where the question rolls in. If you had an option to get a 50 or larger rifle for the option to use for the western states specifically, what would that rifle be and also why?

Suppose I could bring it out for deer season here as well. There's one chunk of ground here that has really got me wanting one more than anything just to be a Mountain man before I draw a real mountain man tag.

Shooting conicals and not prb. Maybe a buy once cry once option and an opposite of that.

Heck even bullet recommendations based on rifle twist would be a welcomed wealth of knowledge as well.

I'd enjoy putting together a 32 or 36 cal kit because I would be able to use that rifle chasing bushy tail much more than the occasions taking a 50 or bigger for elk or other big game. Kits aren't off the table but that's where I stand on that currently.

I'd maybe make it slightly modern by throwing a peep on it. Not necessarily modern but also not the most traditional?

I'm not well versed in traditional muzzleloaders by anymeans so any info is greatly appreciated.
There is a 54 caliber TC White Mountain Carbine for sale on here. They are good conical shooters. I have one in fifty. It anchors deer pretty cleanly.

What would make me break out my wallet? For a gun? I think my wallet is in limbo for a while. I don't know how many guns I've seen advertised on this site I'l like to own, but the dollars just aren't going to be there going forward. Now I'm looking at a beautiful ash tree in my front yard that's been my joy for almost 20 years and is giving great shade, which I recently discovered has a severe borer infestation, despite routine annual systemic prevention. I may lose it, and that's going to cost big bucks taking it down, IF it can't be saved. It had a 3 in. bole when I had it put in and it's now 56 in. I'm too old to start over with a new baby tree.

I feel your pain, I lost a big beautiful Ash that shaded my house and patio shooting bench a couple of years ago 😥 It broke my heart when the State Forester who certifies my tree farm status told me I had Ash borers.

Back to opening up my wallet, I'm going to say a 100% English Parker-Hale Whitworth to replace my English/Italian Franken-Hale.

Seen a Seneca on the Modern classifieds which brought me here in all honesty. That New Englander package sounds like it would have been mine if I was on here... a muzzleloading shotgun would be drug all over the country if I had one.

That's a rig right there. That peep though! That's what I'd like!

I hear you. What is contentment anyway when there is always more?

It is more on the side of wanting to shoot conicals to get added range. Ideally a 150 yard rig. Further if possible. Not needing to by anymeans. I'd imagine with the right load and if I do my part a conical would suit me better than a PRB would at that distance although lungs is lungs.

Being a turkey nut getting close is the name of the game I enjoy the most but I can hunt 15 states give or take, and miss the longbeard, before I'd have enough points or same dollar amount spent on an elk trip, Non outfitted. The added distance, atleast I could only imagine added distance, with conicals would have me leaning that way. After getting a couple down on the ground I could absolutely see me running with a 54 or 58 PRB.

In time I'll absolutely have a nice collection. Started off on other unmentionables from periods of war. They were affordable. Muzz on the other hand have a much higher price tag to them compared to what I have a good handful of currently.

I know I'll probably end up with a 32 or 36 before I get a 50 or larger. Just getting info to get the ball a rolling.

Auction goers or folks who go to shows... do you bring a borescope of some sort to check bores before bidding or purchasing?

I bring a few lighted archery nocks and drop one in any bore I want to inspect.

Sorry to hear about your tree. Mine had to come down three Years ago. It was only 48 inches at the base. Many board feet of lumber stacked in the barn now and seven curley ash stock blanks waiting for carving.

I had to break open my wallet two weeks ago. Kibler listed a curley walnut, carved , 54 caliber woodsrunner. Only took 20 minutes and some coaxing from my shooting group to place the order. Beautiful piece of wood. And i wasn’t planning buy at this time.

Thanks. Reminds me to ask for some of wood if they have to take if down. I'll bet Kibler could make me a beautiful stock from that wood. And if I made a rifle from that it would have some special sentimental value.
I bought a used sawmill to cut it up. Still have the butt log to cut . Chainsaw mill and a five foot bar. Lots of work once I start cutting. Currently blocked up off the ground.

Latest posts

Back