• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cabelas ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keppy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I came across a Cabelas 54 cal.single trigger,brass furniture except thin rubber butt plate. Looks to be factory. Plastic ram rod.Seems to have a nice trigger pull. 28 inch barrel, But does have fiber optic sights, and not sure if that would be factory. It has a few dings and one small chip in the stock near the lock and wouldn't hurt anything. Its used and the barrel looked like it would clean up. Was wondering if any of you have one or can tell me anything about this rifle. I'm thinking $120. might be worth getting just to have a 54 cal. I didn't really see any other marking except Cabelas N.E. and made in Italy. Thanks

I've been impressed with the quality, accuracy and all-round shootability of a .50 Cabela sporterized Hawken carbine I bought recently. Very happy with it. I bought it off an auction site NIB and did alot better than the current catalog price. The bore is chromed and cleans up quick. Mine has a fast twist and handles sabots well.

Only drawback I see is that you can't stoke 'em up like you can a T/C if you go by the book. The maximum recommended load for mine is 80 gr. ffg if I'm shooting conicals; 90 gr. PRB. For your .54 it would be 90 grs for a conical; 100 grs. for a PRB. It's not a big deal for me, though. 90 gr. is the most I shoot in anything any more.
FWIW
Bob

Probably is made by Investarms, in Italy. These are the same gunmakers who make Lyman muzzleloaders.

What happened to the pics? Here's an Ithaca Hawken I built in 1978.
IthacaHawken.jpg

IthacaHawken3.jpg

reddogge said:
What happened to the pics? Here's an Ithaca Hawken I built in 1978.

Are you thinking of the other thread titled, "post hawkin here"?
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/190140[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes that is what I was told also. Cabela's and Lyman are made by the same company. I can't seem to find this paticular rifle in the catalog. I think this maybe a older rifle. The fiber optic sights is something that puzzles me. I'm not sure if they came that way or he added them. Going to a gun show Sunday to look for a rifle. Thanks

I would like to shoot the PRB. How does your shoot PRB? This seem to have a nice trigger.Overall the rifle is pretty fair. But am going to a gun show this weekend to look for a 54 cal. Why cause I can I guess. Hey thanks for the info

I own a .54 cal traditions. I love the thing. The only thing is it doesn't shoot conicals or sabots all that great but load it with PAB and watch out.

I've got a cabelas sporterized .54. Got it for christmas so haven't shot it a bunch yet. The 50 or so round balls I did run through it all went into a 2" circle at 50 yards right out of the box.

I haven't tried PRB in it yet, Hacksaw. It's the carbine with a 21" barrel and has a very fast (1:24) twist. I don't expect it to be very good with PRB except maybe for light loads...which will be OK for plinking.

The sporterized rifle and 'traditional' Hawken versions (lotsa brass) have longer barrels (24" or 28") and a slower 1:48 twist. They should be much more suited to PRB shooting, but maybe not so good with sabots.

The .54 Barney got for Christmas is probably a rifle. I would be interested in hearing how well that gun shoots Powerbelts.
Bob

Does your rifle has fiber optic sights? If not I bet the owner put these on it.

Nope, no fiber optics on this one, Hacksaw. Just some stout looking open sights...V-notch in back (adjustable), bead (painted red) on a post up front. I prefer the squared off patridge style open sights but the hits come easily enough with these.

One other thing. Nothing was holding the ramrod in the gun when I got it. Muzzle down and it would fall out. Put a square of adhesive backed velcro (fuzzy part) in the ramrod channel in the forend. Ramrod stays put now.
Bob

Doubt I'll ever shoot powerbelts out of it but as soon as the winds die down to below 40+ mph on a weekend, I'll try some buffalo bullets and some ballets.

I was really suprised with the shootability of this gun. I see they've gone up around $40 in the new catalog.

Back