• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cal of muzzleloader barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy3658

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a antique muzzleloader rifle im trying to find out what cal it is can anyone tell me a easy way to tell what cal it is .It was made in the 1850' if that matters. Thanks Tim

Measure the diameter from land to land (if it is a rifle) or inside diameter (if it is a smoothbore) with a dial micrometer. The measurement will tell you the caliber (i.e. 0.500=50 caliber, 0.540=54 caliber, etc.).

If just an approximation is good enough you can use a ruler or tape measure to measure the bore size at the muzzle.

5/16 inch = .31 cal

3/8 inch = .38 cal

7/16 inch = .44 cal

1/2 inch = .50 cal

9/16 inch = .56 cal

5/8 inch = .62 cal

If you want an accurate measurement you will have to use something like a dial or digital caliper which can measure inside dimensions, outside dimensions and depths to a thousandth of an inch.

By the way, these calipers are not that expensive. :)

Thanks everyone I used a dial micrometer and I have a 38 cal or .380 thanks again .Tim

Unless the rifling is directly opposing at the muzzle, it is hard to get an accurate measurement.

Best way I know is use a indexed drill bit set & insert the Uncut end of dif. drill bits into the bore, going up in size on each one til ya find one that is snug. Find one that barely fits & it will be within a couple thousands of the actual bore size. Make sure the bore is clean & oiled before doing this, and do NOT force the bit in.

Keith Lisle

Another route: drill a hole in a slightly oversized pure lead ball, peck ball into muzzle with brass hammer, pull the ball back out with screw twisted into the hole. measure ball.

Or, if you don't want to futz with drilling holes in the ball and you have a solid brass rod that fits the bore you can drop the rod into the barrel, tap the lead ball into the muzzle and then shake the barrel so the rod pounds the ball back out.

Well, yes, you could slug it.... But that is allot of trouble on a old ML just to be able to say "Yep, it is a .40 cal". :idunno:

Keith Lisle

:grin: OK. I thought he asked for a "Easy Way" to find out the caliber & what I posted is the easiest way I know. :idunno:

Keith Lisle

Yep, that is what different thickness of patching can be used. You get a close size of the bore with the drill bits and after than it is the patching. It is not rocket science. I do have adjustable hole gauges, but before that, it was drills bits I used for a go/no go gauge. Always worked good for me.

Back