• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber (bigger means' better?)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spot Shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Everyone,

I were thinkin' the other day (jest fer a bit) about if I built another riflegun of the caliber I'd pick. I was thinkin' that 'cause the .54 cal ball's I've been cast'n look small to what I thought they'd be.

Seen'n I've a BP greenhorn what is the call of ya older fellers who made the mistakes afer. Is there bigger / better or is the .54 the way to go.

Since we'd be talk'n about caliber, if the type of riflegun has impact please tell me what's more bear'in on accuracy / performance.

Spot

Spot, started with .45, and stayed with it for a long time. Got a .58 a couple of years ago, just feel it is to big for what I do..mostly target and woodswalk, some hunting. Have switched to .50, and am happy...would be just as happy, I guess with a .54....that's one of the great things about our sport, there's always a good reason to buy another gun..Hank

Bigger is better, I shoot a .735 round ball only because I don't have a 4 1/2 inch cannon... :winking:

A .45 (.440) is OK, but when you put a 1/2 inch or better hole in something, it's going down...

Providing the shot placement is there, a .69 caliber (.678) that hits a bear in the knee is not as good as a .50 (.490) that hits a same size bear in the heart and lung...

You do get less balls per pound of lead as caliber goes up, so it is a trade off in economics...

Spot, you didn't say what you you will be shooting at. If you are a deer hunter you won't go wrong with either a .50 or a .54. If you are going after anything bigger, I'd go with the .54. If you are at all recoil sensitive, remember that the .54 talks a bit louder. If you are not a hunter (not likely) I'd go with the .45 or .40, both are a joy to shoot.
AS far as type of rifle is concerned, both the flinter and caplock can be superbly accurate. Only the flinter requires a tad more effort to obtain the same reliability, but well worth the effort when you consider the joy and satisfaction you get when shooting one.

Tough call!It depends on what You intend to do with Your gun,and if You intend to use it in reenacting,or just plinking or serious competition,I'd have to say the bottom line is what appeals to You!As was said,It's always a good excuse to aquire a new gun,to see if You like the next one better.Of corse We seldom sell the ones aquired first!Iy sounds like the big hunks of lead impress You,so go for a big bored brown Bess or other trade gun.If You really want to shoot big balls,4 and even 2 bores are available.(at a slightly higher cost). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif :D

I do hunt alot, and don't really shoot other then practice (which I tend to do ALOT of).

Anywho, I keep hearing about thing's bigger then the .54 cal. Great Plains Rifle I just built. I really like the thing and can group nicely with it.

But I have seen civil war bullets that are massive chunks of lead way over 50 cal's. And I hear some of you folks talk'n 'bout big bore BP's also. Truth is I haven't seen any (then again I haven't looked either) that are real popular and are bigger than .58 at most.

Given that, what are the big bores your all talking about "musket" - are they smooth bores, or rifled?

Spot

Hi Spot Shooter,
Welcome to a marvelous sport! I started with the same rifle you did. I had the same good opinion that you did.

I'm a traditionalist, but that's why there are so many choices not everybody is like me.

As to your question, yes the musket is smoothbore, and a lotta fun it is. I've gone to an English style fusil, also a smooth bore. It is .62 cal,( 20ga). That way I'm VERY traditional, it's certainly a flinter. I can have a longer hunting season. I can hunt birds, by just changing to shot.

I also enjoy historical stuff, like rendezvousin', so I'm set. Just have fun. The .54 will handle just about anything.
Just shoot it enough so that the spark of the flint doesn't bother you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Regards,
charlie47

Spot: Hate to be the one to tell you, but you already have the "King of the Mountain" for hunting anything bigger than a fox that walks on 4 paws in North America. This includes Moose.
The only thing that outguns you is a Grizzly, Kodiak or Polar Bear.

The bigger bores are fun to shoot but IMO the .58 Civil War "Rifled Muskets" are not as accurate as your GPR. The smoothbores (like Musketmans Bess or the "Trade Guns") are definatly not as accurate as your GPR.

I think I know you well enough to say you would loose interest in just poking holes in a paper target. I think you are more of a hunter at heart. If this is true, then what you have to ask yourself is "what do I want to hunt?"
If you like bird hunting, then by all means think about a Trade Gun (.69) or a Bess (.75) or any of the other muzzleloading shot guns available.

If you like rabbit, Turkey or squirrel think about a .32, .36 or .40. Yes there small but that means you can get over 70 shots per pound of lead. (Yes, I know, you have a mountain of it on hand but you don't have a mountain of powder on hand.)
Something to think about, Ah says.

Zonie,

The only thing that's would have been worse listen'n to fellers like RollingB, and you is I ended up with a hell of a rifle gun without be'in force to learn what the right gun were by make'n plenty of mistakes along the way.

Guess I'll just have to be happy with make'n them mistakes here in the posts. i.e. - I gotchya, hmmm... I don't think I want to try shootin' a bird with Shot from a BP Musket. I'll be content...

Hey these squirrel gun's with .32 Caliber might just be somethin. I'll start a new thread with the caliber question to it, in the hunting board.

Spot

Spot: I saw your post in the hunting section and I'll let the hunters argue the "best caliber" question out over there after I say I like my .36.
You didn't say you wanted something to build, but I know the "building bug" has bitten you, so I'll pass along a few tid bits I have found in last years Dixie catalog.

Pedersoli has a Kentucky Rifle Kit in .32 caliber available. This one has a 35 1/16 inch barrel with a 1/48 twist (which is just about right for a .32 cal). The Pull is 13 1/2 inches. It is available in Precussion or flint. Last years Dixie Price was $312 Flint/$290 Percussion. The stock is walnut with a fancy brass patchbox. It is the Roman Nose style which means the top of the comb has a lot of drop and curve to it. Much more than most real Pennsylvania Rifles although I have seen photos of a few which were almost this shape.

Pedersoli "Scout Carbine" with a 28 3/8 inch barrel with a 1/48 twist and 13 1/2 inch pull. They don't show a picture but they say it is a "carbine" version of the Kentucky. Last years price was $325 Flint/$297 precussion.

Now I don't want to get in trouble with Mrs Spot BUT, Pecatonica River has a Rough Carved inletted pistol kit in .50 Caliber Precussion which has their Premium Maple stock (about like Bob1961s Hawken wood). The price comes to about $265. If you want Walnut, the price drops to about $256. The warning here is this is not a semi-drop in kit like the GPR was. Pecatonica will cut the dovetails for the sights and install the barrel underlug for about $15 total. I think they charge about $15 to install the breech plug but don't quote me. Installing this plug isn't real easy so it's something to consider.
If your not a pistol man, I understand. I just thought you or someone else reading this post might like to know about it.
In fact before I get you in trouble with Mrs Spot, I disclaim all knowledge of this free advice I just gave you. ::

Bigger is better, Well in some cases. Here's the muzzle of my "Elk Thumper" so far I haven't thumped and Elk with it but am hoping to draw a Bull Elk tag this yr. We have some monsters here. .75 cal. Hawken, 1 1/8" barrel. 600 gr. ball.

1_muzzle_of_75_Hawken.jpg

Here's the .75 and it's accuterments, not too heavy because of the big hole in barrel which means it thumps on both ends, but it hurts so good. ::

75_Hawken_and_accuterments_1.jpg

Is that a sleeved bore? Whats the charge You use under that 600grnr? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deadeye,

Good thunders man, - (I can here it now, that's not a muzzle loader, ..... NOW THIS IS A MUZZLE LOADER).

Who makes that fence pole! Wow, 3/4 bore pretty cool! And I betchya she does thump on both ends. 600 grains of round ball!

Spot

Wow, 3/4 bore pretty cool! And I betchya she does thump on both ends. 600 grains of round ball! Spot

Wouldn't it be funny if that's a typo?

Maybe it takes 600 grains of Fg... :: :haha:

I'd shoot it, (once) (click, ka-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, cough cough, hack, cough, wheeze, asthma attack...)

Man, that's the life...

I'd shoot it, (once) (click, ka-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM, cough cough, hack, cough, wheeze, asthma attack...)

right after you pick yourself or had help picking yourself up off the ground AND after relocating your shoulder....he he he.................................bob

No, it's not sleeved. It's a Getz barrel with the round bottomed rifling. I built the rifle and built it to the original Hawken specs. the only problem is that type of buttplate isn't good for that kind of recoil. A flat or shotgun type butt wouldn't be PC but would be better. Supposedly you could use up to 240 grs. but 160 of 2F is the most I've used and about 90 of 2F is a good load. It's very accurate.
At the Pacific Nationals a few yrs. ago there was a rifle of
1" bore that was said to fire a 1350 gr. ball with 300 grs.
powder. We were all allowed to shoot it. I don't think anyone shot it twice. It made mine look like a peashooter.

SpotShooter: You will find a .58 cal & a .62 cal RB very comfortable to shoot if it is in the correct rifle to make it comfortable. Rifles with sharp pointed or thin buttplates are gonna beat ya up, simple as that. I prefer the large calibers such as a .58 or .62 in a German Jaeger style rifle with swamped barrels. It is short, heavy & wide buttplate & extremely well balanced. I shoot 75 gr of FF in the 54 Jaeger, same load in the .58 cal & 85 grains in the .62 cal & none of the 3 have the recoil of my GPR .54 cal with 75 grains in it. Dif is the weight & style of rifle & buttplate.

So allot of it is the rifle that carries the barrel, balance of same & the charge. Now I deer hunt with mine & 75 to 85 grains & that big bore is MORE than enough to put a big deer on his butt & quite promptly.

Custom Muzzleloaders & Custom Knives

Back