• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber for Squirrel Hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pork Chop said:
Keep in mind that if you are out shooting squirrels with a .50, the local game warden may not believe that you aren't looking to poach a deer...

This is a very good point and the reason some states ban calibers over .36 for small game. Lousyanna, for instance allows only up to .36 for small game and down to .44 for big game (thus eliminating the .40). In some areas you'll get into trouble toting a .45 or .50 after squirrel...many areas have rules against carrying big bore rifles during small game season...and carrying big bore rifles without a big game license!!!

May seems a strange time to start a squirrel season unless your state likes to orphan baby squirrels. That's not your fault.

Cheaper than getting a whole new rifle would be to get a drop in .32 barrel for your T/C Hawken the next time some extra cash blows your way.

Everyone needs a reason for another rifle. You won't be unhappy with any gun under 40cal for small game. I know, check the laws in your state, but the difference between a head shot squirrel with a 40cal over a 32cal in min. One thing nice about a cal. bigger than a 32, is the ability to take longer shots on game because the weight of the ball is not as wind sensitive. I have guns in 32, 36, 38 and 40. I can't say I have a real favorite. 2 are perc. and 2 are flint. I prefer a different gun that a drop in barrel. I want to grab the gun and go.

I've shot squirrels with both my .50 and .54 GPRs. Anything but a head shot will be messy. Far as that goes, the head shots are really messy too... but I ain't eatin those. :barf:

I have a .56 Renegade smoothbore that works good with shot during the early season when there's lotsa leaves. My .32 comes out when the leaves start dropping and I can see 'em long enough to aim at their heads.

Fried or stewed, squirrels are goooood eatin'! :thumbsup:

BaronBrian said:
Squirrel tongue? Seems like it'd be too small to be worth the trouble. :confused:

i'm not sure bout something that may be tasteing me back :hmm: :rotf: :v ..............bob

The problem w/ a shot behind the shoulders is that when skinning, they pull apart. My neighbor called the game warden after he visited awhile and complained that I was shooting squirrels w/ a "great big MLer" and he was very surprised when told that it was perfectly legal. In some states it might not be......Fred

May seems a strange time to start a squirrel season unless your state likes to orphan baby squirrels. That's not your fault.

Winter is pretty mild around here (Oklahoma) and from what I understand the breeding season starts early. By this time most of the baby squirrels will already be out of the nest. It's also the longest and, from what I've heard, the least used season in the state. Just not a lot of squirrel hunters around here.

Cheaper than getting a whole new rifle would be to get a drop in .32 barrel for your T/C Hawken the next time some extra cash blows your way.

I've thought about it and Green Mountain has some nice barrels. And a .32 or .36 bored through a 15/16" barrel would basically be like a bull barrel for a rimfire so no complaints there but I'd like a new rifle as well. An underhammer in .36 from[url] Underhammers.com[/url] has really caught my eye and the price for the kit isn't much more then the price for the barrel. Both would be nice but I haven't hit the lottery yet. :winking:

Last edited by a moderator:
flehto said:
The problem w/ a shot behind the shoulders is that when skinning, they pull apart. My neighbor called the game warden after he visited awhile and complained that I was shooting squirrels w/ a "great big MLer" and he was very surprised when told that it was perfectly legal. In some states it might not be......Fred
you have a good neighbor ,id have to return the deed :cursing:

I know that you can kill squirrels without even hitting them. If you are a good shot with a larger caliber rifle, you can bark them. That is when you hit the tree or limb they are sitting on as close as you can get to them and the shock will usually kill them. Its a fact. No kidding.

I'm toying with the idea of putting a .32 or .36 barrel on my other TMR, since it doesn't make sense to have two identical rifles... but I'm not sure of the wisdom of using a .32 cal, 15/16ths diameter barrel. Seems like it would be awfully heavy (at 42" long). Until I decide, I'll continue to use the .50, and stick to head shots.

Joel

Alamosa,
Although most of the time I squirrel hunt I will
use my Crocket .32. But prior to deer season I will take either my .45 or .50 and do exactly what
you say. Hit as close as you can without actually
hitting the squirrel. I am maybe 50% effective,but
it is a good way to prepare for deer season.
snake-eyes:hmm:

I do have an orginal perc. 32cal. in a full stock, that has a 41 1/2"x 15/16" +or- barrel. The barrel is very slightly swamped with about a .040 thinner waist and the muzzle is slightly larger than the breech.The gun is a Sheets and looks very similiar to what a full stock Vincent would look like. It shoots and holds VERY nice. Yes, it isn't light, but I have carried it all day squirrel hunting and offhand shots are a joy, the way it holds.

Has any ever tried loading #4 or #6 shot in a .50 ML? Would it behave like an open choke .410 shotgun? Would this work for squirel?

Or has anyone seen a .32 sabot for a .50?

Probably more like a .32ga...the 50cal would fall between a .54cal/.28ga and a .40cal(approx .410)

Assuming the .50cal you refer to is rifled, I personally don't think you'd get any satisfactory pattern out of a rifled bore, and after a time, mainly just clog up the rifling with lead.

My neighbor has a .50 smoothrifle and has patterned it with #6s and #4s. Not too impressive at or beyond 30 yds, but it should kill a squirrel at 25 yds or so...we are spoiled with our choked/plastic shotcupped modern guns....which, by the way, is a method of tightening patterns (shot cups)....

BaronBrian said:
Good information. I figured it might just be a question of accuracy (a squirrel being so small) and powder charge. I just wasn't sure I could even load that light since T/C's loading chart starts at 50 grains.

Edit: For generations the .22 Sh or LR has been the basic round for squirrels--and the .32 comes closest to that in MLers....

Well I know I want my next ML to be a .32 or .36 with a nice slow twist in the barrel but that's a purchase that'll have to wait until later in the year and I want to get out NOW. :grin:
A fast twist will probably allow lighter charge weights, keeping the energy below the .22 magnum level. That'd be better for most edible small game. :v

BaronBrian said:
Keep in mind that if you are out shooting squirrels with a .50, the local game warden may not believe that you aren't looking to poach a deer...

That's a pretty good point and the most persuasive argument against not using the .50 for squirrel. Forget about tissue damage, arguing with a game warden for hours could be a pain in the rear.

Brian, if .50 calibers are legal for small game hunting in your state, you don't have to prove anything to the game warden.
Officers have to prove your guilt, you NEVER have to prove your innocence. :winking:
And Runner's right about shooting one through the middle. They are almost impossible to skin without pulling them apart, and you'll probably mess up the back section which is one of the best pieces of a squirrel.
Stick with close-up headshots and the .50 will work fine.

I don't see many deer up in trees, and shooting at a squirrel on the ground is just plain dangerous. I won't do it. If violates basic safety rules, which require you to be sure your your target AND the background behind the target to be sure you can fire safely and know where that ball or bullet is going.

Now, That Game officer has to prove his case in court. Not out in the field. Don't ever argue with the guy in the field. Be polite, but refuse to answer his questions without your attorney present. If he is going to arrest you, he is going to do it whether you argue with him or not. He made his decision before he even approached you.

Give a lawyer the chance to kick his butt in court. Sometimes we actually like to win these cases. Keep your mouth shut, and let the evidence speak for itself. Now, if its squirrel season, and he finds you gutting a deer with a ball in it, I don't think there is much any lawyer is going to be able to do for you. So, for gosh sakes, don't Poach!( you aren't going to get any sympathy from a jury because they consider what you are doing STEALING from all of us. In their minds, you are not just "filling your tag, early!!

Latest posts

Back