• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caliber question on 50 -- 54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never hunted deer with a .45. Here in the ozarks our deer are mostly in the 80-140 lbs range and lots of boys make meat with the .45 and would use one if I had one.
I am useing a .62 smoothy now,not for the power. If you get a .50 I am sure you will find it enough gun. a .45 will do you well unless you decide to head west in a hunt or go after bear. Even with that I bet you can find some boys and girls on this site thats made soup out of a .45 killed black bear
I have heard the .45 is a mite small for Alaskan browns however :haha:

Man I have 40,45,50,54, and 58 and love them all. If I had to choose between a 50 and a 54 and that was my only option it would be the 54 caliber all day long. But I prefer the 45 cal with the 13/16 barrel its much lighter than the 54 and when hunting a few miles back its a must have.
But with the same logic a 54 is lighter than a 50 with the same barrel width and length

Dad would drop the powder charge down and aim "high" if you know what I mean..Even a hit I the midsection with a 45gr charge dosnt do a much damage as you would think..

Grahm said:
My dad did all his hunting(smpokepole) with a cva Kentucky rifle he built from a kit in .45. you all remember the ones? with the brass spacer in the stock... :grin:

Brass spacer? What brass spacer!?

:rotf:

Alden, that is fine looking. Is that a custom order one piece stock? I dearly miss my "two-piece" kit!

"Abbrakadabbra...presto-change-o! Brass spacer is now a boot scraper!

You know, it's interesting to think of how many shooters got their start on those CVA rifles. Before I got too fancy to drag something like that around the deer lease, 50 grains of FFFg or 75 of FFg (depending on what I could find that season) would put those Bambis in the cold locker if I did my part and kept the range reasonable.

Mountain man Joe Meek's rifle, Ole' Sally is a short rifle that has a metal spacer between the stock and the wooden forend quite a bit like the brass spacer on the CVA/Traditions rifles.
Seemed to work for him. :grin:

Ole Mule said:
OK I am quite sure 50, and 54 will kill deer. I am thinking on purchasing one other rifle. I have a TC Hawkens already and thinking on a Lyman Great Plains or Trader in percussion cap. New or used will be OK with me. My question what is the advantage of 54 over 50 or 50 over 54. I am not in a hurry to purchase I need to do my homework before I decided so all opinions are welcome.
My first muzzle loader was a .54 Lyman Trade rifle and that caliber remains my favorite for both target shooting as well as hunting. Once I got my first .50 and compared it to the .54 I immediately noticed the difference as far as the point of balance and "nose" heavy feel between the two, in both the Trade Rifle as well as Great Plains models. Overall the .54 is slightly lighter, which for me wouldn't be much of a factor as far as any future purchases of those models but the .50 just doesn't balance as quickly and naturally for my style of shooting and I would always choose a .54. Also, it's been my experience that the Trade Rifle's 1:48 rate of twist is for me at least, easier to work up and accurate load for. In fact I had one that was so incredibly accurate that I had the barrel and trigger guard removed and used as the basis for a plains style rifle with a cherry wood stock, Davis lock and single trigger. Shoots like a dream too.

My whitetail rifle is an older, cap-lock, .50 caliber CVA "Hunter-Hawken Carbine" that has a 24-inch barrel and weighs just 6½ pounds.

With the short barrel and light weight, it's nicely handy in the woods and recoil is easily manageable using 70 grains of FFFg Swiss or Goex and a Hornady swagged, .490-inch patched ball.

It will shoot through the average white-tail deer (130-160 lbs) at my self-imposed maximum range of 80 yards if I do my job and place the ball in the deer's "kill zone" just behind the shoulder on a board-side shot.

In addition, since I will only take either standing or walking shots and have never taken a running shot, most deer either drop where they stand or don't travel very far (25-30 yards) after the shot is taken. And with a .50 caliber hole on both sides of the deer, a good blood trail is common.

Therefore, I don't see any need for a larger caliber than a .50 caliber unless one is gonna hunt larger game (bear, elk or moose) in which case I'd opt for the .54 caliber with a larger, heavier ball... and at just 6½ pounds, I would hesitate to use a heavier powder load due to the increased recoil although when shooting at a deer, recoil has never been a noticeable factor.

I've always kinda compared a .50 caliber black powder rifle to a modern .308 or .30/06... a very common center-fire deer cartridge while a .54 caliber rifle is more like a .338 Winchester magnum comparatively.

That said, I'll admit that my big game hunting rifle was a .338 Win. Magnum for over 40 years until I grew older and more wary of the considerably heavier recoil of the .338 with my heavy hand-loads and "retired" my 1961 Model 70 for a 1953 Model 99 Savage lever-action rifle in .300 Savage... a very light-recoiling cartridge compared to even the .30/06 cartridge.

Then, my black powder shooting buddy got me into black powder and I haven't fired a center-fire rifle since except to check the .300 Savage's "zero" prior to going whitetail hunting outta my hunting buddy's cozy cabin in the mountains of Pennsylvania.

Now I've "retired" the ol' Model 99 as well and use my little CVA Hunter-Hawken Carbine for deer in Ohio... my "home" State. I can't handle all that "vertical" Pennsylvania walkin' anymore. :grin:

Since I've never shot deer loads in a .54 caliber, I'm not qualified to make a comparison between a .50 caliber and a .54 caliber, but a deer hunting powder charge of 100 to 120 grains (as mentioned in a previous post) of BP in a .54 caliber compared to my 70 grain load in my .50 caliber CVA Carbine seems like "over-kill" to me.

Incidentally, that 70 grain Swiss BP load outta my Carbine off the bench-rest prints "clover-leaf" type 3-shot groups at 50 yards... even with my tired, almost 78 year old eyes. :wink:

Keep your powder dry... and always make the first shot "count"... :v

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

I'VE TAKEN A FEWC DEER WITH A 50 CAL. BUT SOMEHOW I ALWAYS WIND UP TAKING MY 54 CAL OUT HUNTING NOW DAYS.
IF I'M IN THE LEAST DOUBTFUL...THEN I TAKE MY 58 CAL.

Vearl said:
I'VE TAKEN A FEWC DEER WITH A 50 CAL. BUT SOMEHOW I ALWAYS WIND UP TAKING MY 54 CAL OUT HUNTING NOW DAYS.
IF I'M IN THE LEAST DOUBTFUL...THEN I TAKE MY 58 CAL.

And, if you are REAL doubtful, do you take a .62 cal.?
BTW, what would you be doubtful of??? :confused:
When going hunting I'm doubtful I'll be running into Sasquatch so I have just taken a .45 cal. :wink: :rotf:

I just received my Dad's ol CVA Kentucky rifle for a birthday present..I took it to the shop yesterday and took out the lock, nipple and did a overall inspection..Itss till in pretty good shape. Some light pitting around the nipple. There seems to be some rust in the rifling..Im guessing my cousin didn't clean it correctly the last time he borrowed it..Ah, the trigger..The nice crips 12 pound pull it always had :shake: Im thinking of refinishing the stock and maybe chaging the lock to an aftermarket lock..Kinda fix the ol' girl up..Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated?

If you have experience with those locks and triggers, you can improve things with some stoning.
Other than that, I wouldn't invest much time or money in the rifle. Sounds like it has more sentiment than intrinsic value.
However, I'm not knocking the replacement locks. Most are high quality and will give you good performance. But, it would be like putting a set of $2,000.00 fancy wheels on a rusted out old truck worth $500.00. Yer choice.

Well I really meant Im going to redo the "stock" stock myself..The only thing Im really thinking of replacing would be the lock. maybe? Its actually a good shooting old gun and yes its really just sentimental value..It was my first venture into the world of blackpowder. Im pretty handy with wood and curly maple in particular..One day down the road I may make a new stock for it myself but that's not a priority.

By the way I just picked up a very nice early T/C Renegade(set triggers) in .54..I think I got a decent deal at $175

Latest posts

Back