• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camo or Traditional

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes there are different sides as what to wear. thanks though for input and hobbles i hunt no horns either. if i see a big buck though id shoot em. though meat is my quarry. thanks all

hobbles what coat is that in your picture with your doe? i like it. i have one similiar. except it is kinda of like suede and its all brown and the fringe is at the bottom of the coat too.

Well, my horse ain't all that high, I ride a fourteen hand mustang. I also do no hunting at the range.

"I don't understand..." is a figure of speech, I actually use English as my mother tongue.

You are most welcome to hunt in a pink tutu if that is your thrill, I was merely trying to A)support the kid in his choices of traditional materials, and B) assert my opinion that traditional clothing and equipments in support of traditional weapons more fully answers and compliments whatever atavistic impulses cause a hunter to choose old style arms.

If you hunt where large numbers of other tyros might mistake you for a deer, one could profitably wear a red capote.

For camo when bowhunting, I have done experiments and research which indicates that plaids are at least as effective as the camo clothing that starts life in the bottom of an oil well. Some researchers believe that plaids originated in Northern European iron age societies where camo was indicated to blend with the terrain.

Yesterday I was hunting in a snowstorm and a Lynx approached to within twenty yards before he saw me. I was wearing a red/yellow wool plaid coat. Warm, sheds moisture, stays warm when wet, hi-vis to any two legged varmint who may have seen me.

Personally, I see a marked difference between a snob and one who is committed, but if you care to label me in some insulting manner, hurt yourself.

Anyhow, have fun.

I agree with even. I bow hunt with an old compound bow. I use a sluggun or rifle during regular deer season, and my Renagade (50 cal) with prb or conical during ML season. I use a leather possiblesbag and a powder horn while wearing modern warm hightec cammo clothes with Gore-tex, thinsulate lite boots. I'm not pc, but I'm out there having fun making smoke. I chose to shoot a traditional weapon over a modern inline because I wanted to hunt with a primative weapon.

I wear a mix. The old longhunter wore white and indian cloths so I wear camo and leather
IMG_02201.jpg

You can go leather/traditional but i'd put on a hunter orange stocking hat ' if its cold" and a hunter orange light vest.
You know how those out of state hunters can be :nono:

1eyedmountainmen said:
I wear a mix. The old longhunter wore white and indian cloths so I wear camo and leather
IMG_02201.jpg

Great looking jacket and rifle! That jacket is beautiful. Great looking young doe and one heck of a turkey. :bow:

I always wear my orange. I just took it off for the pics. The doe was a flower eater. The people who let me hunt there place wanted her gone. She is a little small but, they let me hunt there place and well they ask me to do it. Plus, you get four doe/fawn tags here.
:thumbsup:

small does like that are amazing in the pot. So tender and full of flavor.

What kind/caliber of rifle is that? That is one sharp looking rifle.

i wasent saying this to hurt or insult you. i was mearly giving a general message that i have observed amoug some shooters from all walks of life. i do belive you have some great insight to offer to everyone ,no hard feelings buddy.

ok

Here's Carp and I as we hunted around my hillside last year (during regular season).

IM000751.jpg

This is Carp 50 yards off. Red kind of fades in the dark woods.

IM000750.jpg

Green plaid is a dandy bowhunting camo pattern. That was the choice of my bowhunting mentor.
Gary.jpg

I've only ever seen it in wool and who can afford wool heavy clothing? :haha: Camo is a LOT cheaper. Keeping down-wind and avoiding movement are much more important than clothing pattern.

your damn right it is, i have always dreamed of hunting in a red plaid ll bean or woolrich hunting jacket,but its too damn expensive. i would be afrid to leave it out over night to let the scent out for fear of someone jacking the thing.

yeah i have some a wool coat i wear it skinda of camo. but its like an old school military camo. i would rather it be plaid or plain but its what i got when i was younger and its 100 percent wool so whatever. most of the time though, and i mean it beter be bitter for me to wear the wool coat, i wear my buckskin fringed coat, much like hobbles coat.

sometimes the traditional can get expensive thats why i go to flea markets where you can find somethings, also i make most of my stuff

by the way i didnt mean for people to think i dont wear orange because its the law in rifle season. though come flinter and capper season it isnt mandatory

I choose to go traditional, didn't get anything but it felt right to me to do it that way. Got a lot of funny looks from other hunters. I maybe saw one other sidelock out there during the whole season besides mine and my buddies (we were hunting with flinters).

Latest posts

Back