• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Camp chair

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Coffins

69 Cal.
Reaction score
An easy to make chair with a minimum of material and tools yet is quite comfortable. One two by twelve board about ten foot long, a large drill and a saw is the basic needs. Cut the board about in half then cut one to form the seat about fourteen inches long with the tail about five inches wide. Round the edges of the tail if you like for a nicer fit. Then about fourteen inches up on the other drill and saw a hole to except the tail to slide threw forming your chair. Add a notch to the base of the upright part makes it easier to get stable stance and round what edges makes it more comfortable. I add the cut out at the top of the back that makes a good handle and allows me to recognize it as mine.
IMG_0671 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0672 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

An easy to make chair with a minimum of material and tools yet is quite comfortable. One two by twelve board about ten foot long, a large drill and a saw is the basic needs. Cut the board about in half then cut one to form the seat about fourteen inches long with the tail about five inches wide. Round the edges of the tail if you like for a nicer fit. Then about fourteen inches up on the other drill and saw a hole to except the tail to slide threw forming your chair. Add a notch to the base of the upright part makes it easier to get stable stance and round what edges makes it more comfortable. I add the cut out at the top of the back that makes a good handle and allows me to recognize it as mine.
IMG_0671 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr
IMG_0672 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

An old and venerable design. I have rolled out of one of those, several times in my past, after some liquid refreshment. Two pieces of wood and very simple, but it turns out these are an example of "they could have had it, they had the tech, but apparently, they did not".

ALAS some of the stricter events do not allow such seats. For the reason that these are NOT Norse or "bog" chairs, these are based on African chairs, still made today, some of which are birthing chairs, and did not become well known in Europe until the middle to late 19th century (courtesy of the Victorians, etc)

BOG CHAIR E.jpg

Here's an article that has much of the information on the chair design
The Origins of "Bog" Chairs

Now before folks break out the lighter fluid and matches for use upon me, I'm only pointing to the history of these chairs. I don't care if you use one, in fact the folks that embellish these with Celtic knots and such, I think make them quite nice. SO IF you can use these at an event, by all means do so. They are easy to make, durable, and break down to occupy a very small space. Just be sure you understand that not all events will tolerate these.

LD

I use a modern bag chair and throw a cheap canvas painter's tarp over it to defarb it. Good for old people.

Those plank chairs aren't comfortable if you are older, and very hard to get out of. Plus, they are a modern fantasy item.

For a period correct chair, look at these. Napoleon used them during his campaigns, and the design traces back 3000 years to Rome.
I have one I got out of a dumpster 25 years ago I still use, and have picked up several in second hand stores for under $20. They are much lighter.
1726764197469.png

Back