• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can the LOP be increased ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an assumption on my part. I don't think that's possible with the underhammer he has.

Thanks for the many great suggestion and advise.
I really like the idea of a brass plate between the butt and the extension.
But I think my best bet is purchase a new stock.
Hopefully I can find one in maple.
Does any one know where I can get a stright stock out of maple for an underhammer rifle?
I can probebly get one for Bruce at Blue Grouse black powder. But his are very modern looking with a plastic butt plate and need a lot of work to get it to look like the underhammer stocks I've seen on this forum.

I think I can get one from Numrich arm and it comes with a butt plate(brass I hope). But, their stock are walnut so I'd probebly have to buy a new forestock to match.

Cut it straight and add a nice thick recoil pad. :grin:
Actually, my T/C Pennsylvania Hunter came with a recoil pad, much to my dismay. Removing the pad would have left the LOP way too short for my skinny 6'3" frame. I just glued on a scrap piece of buckskin to cover the pad and extend a couple of inches up the stock. I looks rustic and I still get the benefit of a pad.
Yeah, just put on a pad, we all know underhammers ain't "traditional" no how! :haha:

Cannoner,

Haven't read ALL the posts, and this may have already been suggested.

With an underhammer, there is just not that much wood. Seperate buttstock and forestock if it even has a forestock.

Why don't you just make another??

A nice piece of maple that size should only be $15 to $20.??

Just a thought. :hmm:

I bought a Numrich underhammer stock. Yes it is walnut and, the hole counter sink for your screw is different. So you'll either need to shorten and re-thread the screw or buy a new threaded rod and do what I posted when on my .62 cal underhammer build.

Being a leather worker, I've added length to a short buttstock by layering about an inch of leather over the butt plate and sewing all of it into a leather sleeve. Not a job I'd do again, if it wasn't a family member that needed a smokepole that fit.

Latest posts

Back