• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can yall guess what this is?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ric44

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I got it a few years ago in a trade and the end of the barrel was in bad shape. Few inches down the pipe though and it was slick as a button.So I bobbed the barrel,added a new front site,some studs,beads etc.,refinished the stock,and got what could pass as a indian trade rifle if you dont look at the lock.Any way it aint correct,but ive sure had some fun with it and it shoots like a house on fire now. :thumbsup:
antoniozoli58cal.jpg

A mutilated Springfield. Probably a smoothbore or "rifled musket" as you made no mention of it being a rifle.

A reproduction Remington "Zouave" Rifle. You did a nice job on the conversion. 10,001 were made (the originals that is) by Remington for the US government and were delivered in lots between April 18, 1863 and January 8, 1864. It was never issued to troops here and many were shipped to Liege, Belgium after the War and bored smooth for export to Africa and South America. Some did remain here. BTW, many Springfields were also cut down after being sold as surplus and quite a few found their way into the hands of western Indian tribes looking very similiar to what you have here.
:front:

I have a Zuave also and do you think that the barrel is thick enough to have it bored out to a .62cal smoothbore? Mine is a Navy Arms. Nice job you did with yours.

Hey thanks for the compliments guys,by the way that little latigo turtle you see hangin off the ramrod aint just there for looks,it sure makes it a lot easier on the hand when loading. Fer sure. ::

ric44,
I'll tell you what it is!!!!! NICE :imo:
snake-eyes :peace: :applause: :thumbsup:

Boy this brings back memorys. :)

I played around with a Zouave back in the mid 80's. My quest for a shorter/lighter hunting rig. Had a gunsmith snip the barrel at 20", only real differance between mine and yours was, I left the stock the length of the barrel.

I used to load a Lyman heavy skirt .58 minie, think it was 540 gr?? on top of 120 gr of black powder. Talk about rattle your teeth hehe. It was a bruiser on both ends. But one those fun guns at the range.

Whew Swamprat 120 grains? Lordy how could you have fun with that? Hehe My plinkin load is 60 grs FF and more than ample with that big round ball to take anything up to deer size. I did load it on up 80 grs when I took that deer. The ball passed all the way thru her and made a crater where it hit the ground. (I was in a tree stand)

Was way back in my young and foolish days lol. It started out with a "What if I shorten the barrel on this..." I did carry it into the woods a couple of times but never got a chance to harvest a deer with it. Ended up trading it even for a new bow/arrows and the works back in 89' at a gun/bow shop. It was quite the conversation piece and after seeing yours, kinda wish I still had it.

Ric:Sweet. It reminds me of the Navy Arms Buffalo Hunter, which was a sporterized Zouave. Val Forgett took this and a heavy Hawken to Africa. Believe he used the Buffalo Hunter to kill zebra and lion with 125 grains and a 610-grain flatnose conical.

Back