• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you brown brass?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a good question. I'm interested to see what people say. I wouldn't mind darkening some of my brass furniture myself...other than smearing BP residue all over it. :wink:

You can darken it a bit with perma blue, it takes a bit to get it sort of even looking. Liver of sulfer aslo works once again sort of hard to make look even. I think the dirty patch works about the best.

Perma Blue...
IMG_2039.jpg

Liver of Sulfer..
IMG_2548.jpg

Taken from an original NE Rifle..
IMG_2397.jpg

Well, the dirty BP cleaning patch does work nicely. I have a modest collection of original powder flasks and some of the spouts have turned a dark color. Have you ever found an old cartridge case that has lain out in the elements and on the ground for a while? They turn brown and that finish is hard. I would assume that it is oxidation and I have no idea how long it takes to do this but it is definitely brown!

I put a rag soaked with ammonia in a sealable can along with the brass parts overnight (No parts touching the rag). Take em out and clean them up to what you want it to look like. Don't leave it a lot longer as it will really eat up the brass.

From a sculpture book, these formules will produce brown to black colors on brass or bronze.

Ammonia sulfide 1 teaspoon, water 1 pint, heat and apply.

Potassium sulphide, a few crystals, 1 pint water, heat and apply.

Antimony sulfied, 2 ounces, sodium hydroxide 4 ounces, water 255 ounces. Mix by weight, heat and apply.

All these things contain sulfide, so maybe it is the sulfide that does the dirty work.

It may be the sulfur in black powder and its residue that turns brass dark.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if a bit of black powder were disolved in hot water and applied to brass, it just might darken the brass.

Huntin Dawg said:
Just curious if Plum Brown or LMF will darken brass?

HD
no it wont but you can do this heres a site
http://www.sciencecompany.com/patinas/patinaformulas.htm

bernie :thumbsup:

29. Reddish Brown (for Cast Brass)
Ingredients
Cupric Sulfate... 125 gm [MORE INFO]
Sodium Acetate... 12.5 gm [MORE INFO]
Distilled Water... 1 L
Process
Boiling immersion (10-15 min)

The color will develop after 10 - 15 min. Remove and wash in hot water. Dry thoroughly, wax finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back