• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you build one for me ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rifle ships to the builder today. Thanks @Flint62Smoothie for showing us the way and to all who pitched in to make this happen for @GriscomRun.
giphy.gif

NAV ,, thanks for posting. Yes, I am aware. Received messages from Bree, Flint62, and Colonial. I am thrilled at the thoughts of years past as kids we imagined all the activity up there in Santa's workshop. This is something like dreams and imagining for me as this was a stunning surprise. So, in this season of Thanksgiving I'm still trying to figure out how to say it to all those who are making this happen. I have time yet. And I will find a way.
Paul

This is for all those who have expressed interest. Especially Dale and Nav. I know there are others involved, and that Dale knows who they are. But I don't. :ThankYou: I just wanted to say thank you ALL very much. And here is the result of your outreach.

I finally got a chance to get you Friday and do some shooting. I was actually impressed. I tried a 18 blue ticking patch, washed - a bunch of months old with mink oil - 490 and 60 gr 3F Goex. Bad move here. This combination was waaayy too tight. I got it to seat eventually and fired off. Not exactly sure where the ball hit. My target was posted up on another guy's backer when he was done. And I didn't mark the previous hits.
So being semi smart here, I switched to the red ticking and spit. O,,, she seated just fine and smooth over 50 gr of 3F. And here's the nine I fired. 50 yards benched.
The flint : as supplied. I believe it's a Kibler. I did try a black English with flat top from Track but it was much too thick to fit into the jaws.
7/8 x 1.
I expected low hits. I know this target paper well from my days competing with M14 and M1A. It's the TQ-4 100 yd small bore. 14 in paper and 7.5 in aiming black. I used a 6 o'clock hold as I could actually see the front sight fairly well -- even using these "computer" glasses. Yes, the aiming black was a touch fuzzy as it should be. Well, maybe a bit more than a "touch". Anyway, Rick got the sights aligned just fine as you can see. I am going to shoot this recipe again before dealing with the front sight. The group is near 12 in low from center. Guess the goal is to reach POA but that could be a trick.
Included is a pic of the pan. Didn't clean it off between shots. Has some thin cake which cleaned up with some good rubbing at home. Barrel was cleaned with water only. followed by several patches to get some of the water out. Let sit for a bit muzzle down, then an alcohol patch, sit again, then a barricade patch. Yeah, she's sitting face down now but will do another barricade patch later. I think she's happy.
SO the cold is coming and I hope to get another outing but I stiffen up pretty quick. Still, I want to give it another go.

I offer great appreciation to Dale, NAV, and all of you for making this happen for me. I am grateful. And I took Andy 52's advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0023.jpeg
    IMG_0023.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0026.jpeg
    IMG_0026.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0029.jpeg
    IMG_0029.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0030.jpeg
    IMG_0030.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0025.jpeg
    IMG_0025.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I'm sorry that I somehow missed this thread when it was originally going. I'm beyond pleased and proud to have found it today. Folks here really stepped up in ways I haven't normally witnessed.

To those who helped one old vet, you've done a good turn to more than just one man. That work will reverberate and motivate others.

@GriscomRun my entry date was 20 years after yours and for me it was Army, not USMC. Thanks for your service and for being humble enough to accept the generous offers of others. Cherish the visible reminder of the kindness shown.

Glad you gave us an update, that turned out wonderful!

Thanks to everyone who made it happen for a fellow vet, hearts of gold to be found around here.

Semper Fi!

Back