• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canuoe cuo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rj morrison said:
looking for one, also known as a voyagers cup or a gourd dipper

It is a 2-hour project with a bock of wood, chisels and a rasp. I've made about a dozen of different sizes & shapes for friends. I use one that I made with a flat bottom as a general-purpose bowl when in the woods.

Black Hand said:
rj morrison said:

It is a 2-hour project with a bock of wood, chisels and a rasp. I've made about a dozen of different sizes & shapes for friends. I use one that I made with a flat bottom as a general-purpose bowl when in the woods.

Would you mind showing a couple pictures? And describing your technique, kinds of wood used, etc? I am a wood worker, do a little carving also but have never had success making a noggin. Drew lotsa blood once :shocked2: but that didn't help things at all. :doh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Rifleman1776 said:
Black Hand said:
rj morrison said:

Would you mind showing a couple pictures? And describing your technique, kinds of wood used, etc? I am a wood worker, do a little carving also but have never had success making a noggin. Drew lotsa blood once :shocked2: but that didn't help things at all. :doh:

Made with chisels, rasps and a little sandpaper from a piece of cottonwood (split log). I roughed the shape with a saw once the top and bottom were planed parallel and the bowl hollowed-out. Finished with vegetable oil. The thong/toggle allow me to attach it to a strap/belt easily.

I can't say whether that particular style would be period, but isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Yeah, I know many different types were made from wood or other stuff, but the particular ones with the toggle arrangement have always seemed like a reenactorism. I've asked about them before but never have found any info about them.

Thanks.

Spence

It was a convenient and useful method to attach it to my pack strap. Sometimes things wander, and having items on a leash is helpful to me.

About these cups, if you have making the voyager book on the inside page there is a picture of one and how they were made etc. the book is/was by the Neb. uv. press, the writer a prof. in Canada.
Hermit

I'm a fan of the sketch books of Dr. C. Keith Wilbur, and one of them is The Revolutionary Soldier 1775-1783. In it he discussed these noggins. He is very good about his sources, and will usually tell you where the original artifact he is sketching is located. In this case he doesn't do that, but I find him generally very reliable.

Spence

If it will be used for cold liquids, I use beeswax (warm the gourd in the oven, add melted wax, allow to soak in, pour out the excess and repeat until satisfied. Allow to cool and polish the exterior with a paper towel or canvas). You could coat the interior with veg oil when used for hot foods. Some just clean and use without any coating.

We tend to view gourds like moccasins today - we want them to last since they can be tough to find and are a nuisance to make. In reality, they are disposable items...

Latest posts

Back