• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canuoe cuo

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
colorado clyde said:
How do you finish or treat the gourd cups ?
I have gourds growing this year..... might want to make one.....

I am trying shellac (the real thing) on the outside and food grade mineral oil on the inside :idunno: I'll let you know.

I've been using two gourd canteens for 15 years with no problem, and they are not treated in any way.

Spence

Nothing. I don't see a need to coat the inside, what is it protecting against?

Spence

"gnarled growth"
That means burl.
Trying to hollow a burl is when I had my bloody experience. :(
I have a purchased noggin have been using for decades. No finish at all on it. I use for hot and cold liquids. I use for water, juices and alcohol. Any finish I have tried will come off and make drinking unpleasant. No finish to come off, no problem. I do not know what kind of wood it is. Looks a lot like it could be cheery, but I really dunno. :idunno:

Not so far. I always make certain to let the canteens dry thoroughly and never store them with the stoppers in, and I've never seen any mold.

I don't use a noggin, but I do use a wooden bowl and a gourd bowl. I also use an assortment of small gourds to carry a variety of things, rockahominy, brown sugar, coffee, loose tea, cornmeal, etc., and I've never treated any of them with anything to protect them, no problems I'm aware of.

Spence

When I finish off the noggins I've made out of burls I just use olive oil. It's period correct, food quality and easy to apply. Nothing fancy but it seems to make the wood shine a bit more and look a bit prettier as well; for what that's worth.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Black Hand said:
We tend to view gourds like moccasins today - we want them to last since they can be tough to find and are a nuisance to make. In reality, they are disposable items...

This is so true, of a number of things!

I know you asked about gourd cups, but I'll ignore that :doh: :wink: and tell you how I do wood noggins.
I have tried all kinds of oils and finishes, beeswax, etc. Nothing, and I mean nothing works on the inside. Hot liquids will dissolve and bring to surface, acids, like milk, will do other horrible things :barf: , and alcohol....fuggitit.... The one I have used for decades (I didn't make and belive it to be cherry wood but not sure) has no finish at all. I use for water, coffee and adult beverages. I'm no nuttier now than I wuz then. :wink:

Back