• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canvas bedroll

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loishd

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any preference or recommendations for a canvas bedroll to slip blankets or sleeping bag into? :hmm:

Hey Fort I use an oil skin!

I bought it from a friend who gave up the whole idea of being PC!

Chuck

I didn't want to pay a bunch for oil skin so I made two of 'em out of a painters dropcloth. (light canvas) Added a little water proofing and they work allright for me. Made them to resemble the picturesin one of the primitive catalogs. El cheapo strikes again....

There's a really good description of how to make one in Mark Baker's A Pilgrim's Journey; includes recipes for waterproofing too, and a lot of other good info.
Hope this helps.

I been meaning to get that book. I'll probally pick it up at the Kalamazoo Trade Fair in MI.

My only concern about oilcloth is sparks from the fire if sleeping too close.

My thought was a flame retardant canvas. I was just wondering what everyone else was using to help make up my mind.
Thanks for all the suggestions :redthumb:

contact four seasons tentmasters.
they have a blanket bag for about $40.00
that is made from the same canvas as their tents.
a great price and will keep you dry and warm.
have fun.

rifleshooter2 ... cool info.... basicaly the same thing that I did to waterproof my ground cloth.... linseed oil and terpentine......
Just be carefull to let it dry compleatly... that oil soaked rag and spontanious combustion things.....

I made my bedroll out of sunforger, flame retardent canvas. 3' wide X 76"long pocket with an attached cover wrap/pillow pocket3'X 14". Inside it, I have a medical, wool day blanket that I fold in half one way, then again, the other way. It fits inside perfectly. I also use a plain flannel sheet sewn across the bottom and half way up the side and place inside or on top of the day blanket (keeps the itch away. I got the blankets at a Salvation Army shop, $2; the flannel sheet, $.50. From a dealer, I got 5 yards of 54" wide canvas at $3.29(when I bought it). THAT WAS $18.95 for my BEDROLL. :applause: I used the extra canvas to make storage bags and other items. I can have the wool blanket as a pad or 1 or 2 layer pad and blanket. The bottom is a little longer at the head, made as a pocket for coat or clothes and doubles as a pillow. It also wraps the whole thing up for dryness and cleanliness.

Hello
I re-enact a ranger (Queen's) from the rev. war. We use painted canvas wrapped around wool blankets. This is awesome and keeps us very dry. Heck we even paint our packs... best regards Loyalistdawg

Loyalist Dawg what do you paint the canvas with (oil base or laytex)? Do you prep it before painting? Roller or brush? :hmm: Thanks in advance...squint

Here is picture too how make bedroll easy!

http://personal.inet.fi/private/wildcatannie/Webpicts/Bedroll.jpg

With best regards: Mad Dog Reno
Founder member of C.O.W.S #0002
& Person in charge of Buckskinners.
Free Trapper #242
bullet1.gif
bullet1.gif

This is one of those things that is totally up to the individual, since I have found no historical reference to this item. If your unit will allow you to use one and you like them then go for it.

The waterproofing recepites in all of the references are way roo complicated, and Mark Baker's does not work.

50/50 paint thinner (minerial spirits), linseed oil mix workd great and dries in a very short time. Mix pigment if you wish. Some people prefer terpintine but i do not like that combination. Again, whatever works for you.

I find a cavas bedroll too restrictive and usually disapointing.

In the winter I like to use lots of blamkets. That means the canvas sack has to be huge! In the summer I find that the sack is greatly oversized and way too hot for comfort. At any time of the year I find that it traps moisture inside and makes me and my blankets a bit soggy.

I much perfer an 8x8 foot oilcloth with musket balls tied in the corners. One can use it in a multitue of ways, Build a lare selection of shelters, or roll up in it like it was the bedroll you wanted. In a pinch it will even accomidate more than one person. Two people equipped with 8x8 tarps can rig a shelter of great comfort.

hey squint,

i think you should get one of them 7'x18' tarps thet weighs 16 oz. you could paint it hunter orange so as most hunters would think you are a big dreamsicle and not shoot you while yer napping. knowing your personal habits i would recommend you use latex--just in case. also, if you use brass instead of steel fer all them fasteners it would save a lot on the weight.

looks like a good way to be wet and warm. just don't ferget yer horse to carry it.

take care, daniel

Latest posts

Back